Baby it's cold outside

by Evo
Tags: baby, cold, evo
Evo
Jan21-12, 12:02 PM
Mentor
P: 25,961
We're having a bit of a drought. I wouldn't mind a nice fluffy daytime snow to watch, but all we've got is really cold weather.

It's only 21F outside today, but tomorrow it's supposed to go up to 45F, crazy weather.
Integral
Jan21-12, 12:33 PM
Mentor
P: 7,292
Drought? We were also having a dry year, till last week, Tuesday it rained over 2" ,Wed. over 4". It rained steady and hard from about Tuesday noon until Thrusday noon. That followed Snow on Sunday and Monday.
Borek
Jan21-12, 01:14 PM
Admin
P: 22,708
Sigh. I have to drive 500 km tomorrow. It will be raining and snowing all the day, all the way.
Moonbear
Jan21-12, 03:59 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,257
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
We're having a bit of a drought. I wouldn't mind a nice fluffy daytime snow to watch, but all we've got is really cold weather.

It's only 21F outside today, but tomorrow it's supposed to go up to 45F, crazy weather.
We have all your rain. Just give me your shipping address and I'll send it back. Everything has been soggy since last summer.
George Jones
Jan21-12, 05:45 PM
Mentor
P: 6,044
We had -34C = -29F (not including windchill) on Thursday, and we are heading towards a predicted 7C = 45F on Tuesday.

I went for a walk at -15C = 5F this morning wearing the wrong coat - my toasty parka was too warm.
sistersanity
Jan24-12, 08:30 AM
P: n/a
Southern Ontario is having very strange weather. No snow until after Christmas... very weird. Early January was trying to be cold enough to make up for the missed days of cold we should have had. We had a bad ice storm, which half of my lovely trees have paid for.. we are not even out of January and I'm ready for winter to be over, and mother nature is teasing us with a warm spurt, but weather channel stats -13 by tomorrow. *sighs*
turbo
Jan24-12, 09:49 AM
PF Gold
P: 7,367
Rain yesterday and last night, and the snow and ice has shed off the roof. I just finished cleaning off the back deck and am catching my breath before clearing the snow off the front patio. I'd like to wait, but it's not going to stay 39 deg forever, and I'll have to clear that heavy wet stuff before it re-freezes.
D H
Feb1-12, 12:16 PM
Mentor
P: 14,476
My azaleas are already in bloom, as is my redbud, and I had to mow the lawn already. Some neighbors already have their ACs going. My oaks still have about half of last summer's green leaves on them. We had just a tiny, tiny bit of winter weather early November, just enough to nip the bananas. It has been unseasonably warm ever since.
Borek
Feb1-12, 01:24 PM
Admin
It is the evening and we are below zero. Zero Fahrenheit. Following nights will be even colder. Siberian high at action - but less than an inch of snow.

Marzena's car didn't start in the morning. Around midday, once temperature got up to around 10 F it started happily - but low oil pressure indicator didn't go off. No idea if it is frost related or not. That means we are down to one car.
turbo
Feb1-12, 01:37 PM
PF Gold
Ack! Sorry to hear that, Borek. I have to eventually brave the cold long enough to re-inflate all the tires on my Ridgeline. They are all below recommended pressure (not unexpected for cold weather) but the truck still handles beautifully in this ice/snow. I love symmetrical all-wheel drive with traction control! My last truck was a Nissan, and it was like a metal-wheeled roller-skate on ice.
Pythagorean
Feb1-12, 03:26 PM
PF Gold
P: 4,212
We just got over a day of -50 F, recently, surrounded by -40/-30 days. Air quality reports come up as the inversion layer keeps exhaust of all kinds (cars, buildings, fire stoves, power plant) down low to the ground. Lots of sore throats, nasal congestion, and light-headedness without being "sick".
Borek
Feb2-12, 05:58 AM
Admin
Perfect time to defrost the freezer.
Andre
Feb2-12, 06:07 AM
PF Gold
P: 5,450
The car thermometer said -8oC this morning. Don't see that often here at sea.
Jimmy Snyder
Feb6-12, 05:25 PM
P: 2,163
Winter remains mild. I saw a crocus today.
turbo
Feb6-12, 05:30 PM
PF Gold
Winter is still mild here, too. We're on track to burn less than 3 cords of wood for the winter. The last two years, we have burned a little less than 5 cords of seasoned hardwood/season. We have replaced a couple of dodgy windows, and our wood is better-seasoned than ever. That's a formula.
D H
Feb6-12, 05:40 PM
Mentor
P: 14,476
Enough with the weird weather already! From the National Hurricane Center, http://www.nhc.noaa.gov, emphasis mine.

Gulf of Mexico...
A weak upper level low quickly moves across the Florida Straits to over the Bahamas giving low level support to a surface trough axis analyzed inland across southern Florida to a weak stationary 1013 mb low near the Yucatan channel around 22n85w.

Caribbean Sea...
A weak stationary 1013 mb low centered over the Yucatan Channel near 22n85w extends a surface trough from the low center to near 19n87w. No significant convection is near this system due to dry sw upper level flow covering the Caribbean basin. This feature is forecast to slowly drift ne across the far se Gulf of Mexico during the next 24 hours.

Atlantic Ocean...
Scattered moderate to isolated strong convection is expected to spread across the area w of 60w over the next 24 hours. Visible satellite imagery shows a thick area of Saharan dust moving off West Africa e of 20w from 12n-25n. This phenomenon can happen at any time of year but is usually more often during the summer months.
OK, it can happen "at any time of year", but seriously, tropical weather (or even the threat thereof) in the first week of February?
netgypsy
Feb6-12, 07:16 PM
P: 239
Peaches are blooming in GA - NOT good We lost the strawberries in FL two years ago and the new planting came in at the same time as California killing both financially. they were giving strawberries away. SHEESH
Borek
Feb7-12, 02:12 AM
Admin
Warmer here - not -20, but -10 deg C in the morning.

Still too cold to try to revive the other car.

Register to reply