Register to reply

Windows 8 install

by scottbekerham
Tags: install, windows
Share this thread:
scottbekerham
Jan24-12, 06:00 AM
P: 49
Hi , I want to install windows 8 Developer preview on my computer but I'm not sure if I can uninstall it and restore my previous version of windows without trouble .What do you think? Is it safe?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Sapphire talk enlivens guesswork over iPhone 6
Geneticists offer clues to better rice, tomato crops
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
rcgldr
Jan24-12, 11:34 AM
HW Helper
P: 7,033
What about dual or multi-boot? Just install to another partition, perhaps another partition on another hard drive. Note #1 - assuming it's the same as Windows 7, if you don't want to end up with Windows 8 using different lettering for you partitions, start the installation while running an existing version of windows. Note #2 - if you're installing a 64 bit version, the installer is a 64 bit app, so you need to be running on a 64 bit version of windows to run the Window 8 64 bit installer (at least this is how it works with Windows 7). This can be XP or Vista or Win 7 64 bit.

I had to do this to add Win 7 64 bit to an existing dual boot XP 32 bit / XP 64 bit system. I started the install process while running XP 64 bit. If I had started the install by booting from the DVD, it would have re-lettered the install partition "C", and removed the letter from the original "C" partition. Starting the install from XP 64 bit, left my drive letters alone (in my case, I have 3 hard drives, 5 partitions each, I use "D" for XP 64 bit, "I" for XP 32 bit, and "N" for Win 7 64 bit, "C" only has BOOTMGR and NTLDR and related loader typs files.

What is your currrent OS?
jhae2.718
Jan24-12, 12:41 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,153
If you just want to try it, I'd suggest using a virtual machine.

mathman
Jan24-12, 03:14 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 6,037
Windows 8 install

http://download.cnet.com/8301-2007_4...e/?tag=nl.e415

You could look at this - I got it from CNET.
hotvette
Jan24-12, 03:25 PM
HW Helper
P: 925
Quote Quote by scottbekerham View Post
Hi , I want to install windows 8 Developer preview on my computer but I'm not sure if I can uninstall it and restore my previous version of windows without trouble .What do you think? Is it safe?
What I'd do is make a clone of my hard drive (which should be done on a periodic basis anyway) before you make any changes.

Register to reply