Register to reply

Electrically Variable Inductor

by dnyberg2
Tags: electrically, inductor, variable
Share this thread:
dnyberg2
Jan26-12, 08:27 AM
P: 69
I have an inductor in a design that is one half of an air coupled RF transformer. The operating frequency is 50 MHz. The purpose is to provide power to the load side. It is for all intents and purposes an RF to DC power supply design over some gap. The primary is the fed radiator inductor, a planar spiral PCB coil near 300nH. The secondary is the pickup and has a similar construction. The thing is, I need to be able to vary the inductance of the radiator inductor a little, plus and minus of the ~300nH in order to peak the match of the system. This post has a connection to my last post about detecting mismatch and changing the value of a varicap. Now I think I might need to vary the radiating inductor a bit but cant fathom a method to do so electrically. One theory is to insert ferrite core inductor in series with the radiating inductor and put a second winding on the tuning inductor and vary the u of that inductor by varying DC applied to the control winding like saturable reactor, thus varying the inductance of the tuning inductor that is in series with the radiator. Ideas?? Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
A spray-on light show on four wheels: Darkside Scientific
Research project on accident-avoiding vehicle concluded
Smaller artificial magnetic conductors allow for more compact antenna hardware
Averagesupernova
Jan26-12, 09:41 AM
P: 2,536
At first glance without crunching the numbers my recommendation would be to incorporate a varactor. A circuit can still be inductive even though it has capacitance.
berkeman
Jan26-12, 09:51 AM
Mentor
P: 41,276
Quote Quote by dnyberg2 View Post
I have an inductor in a design that is one half of an air coupled RF transformer. The operating frequency is 50 MHz. The purpose is to provide power to the load side. It is for all intents and purposes an RF to DC power supply design over some gap. The primary is the fed radiator inductor, a planar spiral PCB coil near 300nH. The secondary is the pickup and has a similar construction. The thing is, I need to be able to vary the inductance of the radiator inductor a little, plus and minus of the ~300nH in order to peak the match of the system. This post has a connection to my last post about detecting mismatch and changing the value of a varicap. Now I think I might need to vary the radiating inductor a bit but cant fathom a method to do so electrically. One theory is to insert ferrite core inductor in series with the radiating inductor and put a second winding on the tuning inductor and vary the u of that inductor by varying DC applied to the control winding like saturable reactor, thus varying the inductance of the tuning inductor that is in series with the radiator. Ideas?? Thanks!
I haven't read your other posts yet, so you may have addressed this already... How are you shielding this 50MHz power radiating apparatus to be sure not to cause interference with other RF devices?

dnyberg2
Jan26-12, 03:19 PM
Electrically Variable Inductor

Right, the K or coupling coefficient between the radiator and the pick up is very close, in other words, the emissions is very low and there is a license in effect for the system.
dnyberg2
Jan26-12, 03:21 PM
Quote Quote by Averagesupernova View Post
At first glance without crunching the numbers my recommendation would be to incorporate a varactor. A circuit can still be inductive even though it has capacitance.
In other words, you're suggesting to just shift the C around and that might be enough??

Register to reply