Two Months to Go: Exploring Quantum Physics on My Own

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's upcoming free time after taking exams and their interest in physics, particularly classical and quantum physics. They are seeking advice on whether they can self-study quantum physics and if so, requesting book recommendations. The suggested books are "Griffiths" and "Quantum Mechanics" and the speaker is advised to have a basic understanding of matrix algebra and multivariable calculus. The conversation also mentions the use of concepts from classical mechanics in more advanced topics.
bsrishu
i am just going to give my exams after two months. After that i will be free for 2-3 months, before i join any other institute.
I have done classical physics in detail in past two years.(not of engineering level, as i still hav to join a college)
i like physics very much.
Quantum world looks fascinating to me.
I want to know can i understand quantum physics own my own. If yes please suggest me some book with the ABC of quantum physics . Or should i do some other thing. Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Griffiths book is a common starting point for many undergraduate students:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0131118927/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I haven't used the book before, but it seems to me that its purpose is a very gentle n soft introduction so that the reader can move to more detailed books.

One of my favorite books is:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0199560277/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Bare in mind that you are generally expected to be familiar with the basic matrix algebra and multivariable calculus (differential & integral equations would be an advantage), but typically the books are self-contained.

More advanced topics make more use of concepts from classical mechanics (no, I don't mean Newton's mechanics, but rather Lagrange & Hamilton formulations).
Hint: formulation = version

1. What inspired you to explore quantum physics on your own?

As a scientist, I have always been fascinated by the mysteries of the universe and how it works. Quantum physics, in particular, has always intrigued me with its complex and mind-boggling concepts. I wanted to challenge myself and deepen my understanding of this fascinating field, which is why I decided to embark on this journey.

2. Why did you choose to document your experience in "Two Months to Go"?

I wanted to share my learning journey with others who may also be interested in quantum physics. By documenting my experience, I hope to inspire others to delve into this complex yet intriguing subject and to show that it is possible to learn and explore on your own.

3. How did you go about learning quantum physics without formal education or training?

I approached learning quantum physics by starting with the basics and building my knowledge one step at a time. I relied on various online resources, books, and video lectures from experts in the field. I also conducted experiments and simulations to help solidify my understanding of the concepts.

4. What were some of the challenges you faced during your two-month journey?

One of the biggest challenges I faced was trying to wrap my head around the abstract and counterintuitive nature of quantum physics. Some of the concepts, such as superposition and entanglement, were difficult to grasp at first. It also took a lot of effort and time to conduct experiments and simulations to apply the theories I learned.

5. Do you think it is possible for anyone to learn quantum physics without formal education?

Yes, I strongly believe that anyone with a curious mind and determination can learn quantum physics without formal education. It may require more effort and time, but with access to resources and a willingness to learn, anyone can understand the basic principles of this fascinating field.