I can't find a PhD in theoretical physics after 6 months of trying

In summary: You might want to consider contacting research groups that interest you to get a better idea of what they are looking for. Not everyone is open to new PhD candidates, so it is important to research the groups you are applying to in order to increase your chances.
TeethWhitener said:
According to post #11, OP is looking to get into grad school, not apply for a job. In which case, 10 applications in 6 months is reasonable. I only applied to 5 or 6 schools for grad school, for instance.
PhD positions in Europe frequently are a job. Openings are posted just like job openings and you are paid just like an employee.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71 and Dale
Physics news on Phys.org
There is nothing wrong with OP's number of applications, as well as his/her profile. Most people giving answer here probably have not walked the path of theoretical particle physics. It is distinctively more difficult (to study and to secure positions) than most other fields. I was also an aspiring theoretical HEP/cosmo student and finished my Master in France, and 2 professors from my program told me not to pursue the path since it was only for the top 3-5 students in the class (my class had 30). Of course, I did not listen and failed multiple applications. It was not due to the lack of "job" search or anything, because I knew some groups in England, Finland, and Taiwan (Asia) that would gladly accept me (they had precedent with other candidates of the same background and class ranking as me). The point is, I suppose the OP's targets are the same as mine, to get into a decent group (2nd-tier group at least) , since anywhere lower and you would never get a postdoc after. Now I am having another Master in Quantitative Finance (in Luxembourg), and believe me, it is necessary to go for another since with "only" QFT and Mathematica no job office would dare to hire you, even for an internship.

On a side note, there is a top-tier group in EU, specifically the theoretical particle physics section from SISSA, Italy. In order to be accepted, you will need to prove your worth through 2 exams (written and oral). If OP can fight through literally a hundred candidates and reign in top 5, then he/she will earn a Ph.D. spot, fair and square. I did it and failed too (it is top-tier, no joke). I feel it is the only place where your profile does not matter too much (they have a CV screening round but most people will pass).

Last edited:
  • Skeptical
Likes Dale
quantumcat212 said:
Now I am having another Master in Quantitative Finance (in Luxembourg), and believe me, it is necessary to go for another since with "only" QFT and Mathematica no job office would dare to hire you, even for an internship.
In Holland you would.

Likes vanhees71