Need help for solving a 2nd order nonlinear differential equation

In summary, the conversation is about finding an analytical solution for a non-linear differential equation and the possibility of proving the existence of a time where the solution reaches 0 and its derivative reaches 0. The conversation mentions the use of approximation methods and a specific solution method for non-linear ODEs. The topic is related to a control problem involving an unmanned helicopter and the use of Time-To-Contact information. There is also a mention of boundary conditions and initial conditions for the solution.
fkendoul
Hi,

I need some help to find the analytical solution of the following DE:
x" - k x/x' = at + b, with x' = dx/dt and x" = d(dx/dt)/dt

Any kind oh help or advices on where I can find some useful resources are really appreciated.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
There are NO general methods for solving non-linear differential equations. All methods that I know are approximation methods.

Actually, for nonlinear ODE's of order 2 and more there is a general solution method due to Lie. It is based on reducing the order of the ODE until you can reduce it to quadrature, by consecutively applying point symmetries of the ODE. A lot of 'tricks' to solve specific ODE's are doing nothing more than applying a known symmetry to solve the equation. Finding a symmetry can be quite a tremendous task that you usually don't undertake without something like Maple.

When using Maple on this ODE however, it yields a horrible expression as a solution that is pretty much useless for all practical purposes.

HallsofIvy said:
There are NO general methods for solving non-linear differential equations. All methods that I know are approximation methods.

x" - k (x/x') = at + b
A solution of the ODE :
x(t) = (1/18)(k+3a)(t+(b/a))^3

Thank you guys and many thanks for you JJacquelin.

The solution you propose (x(t) = (1/18)(k+3a)(t+(b/a))^3) satisfies the DE but does not satisfy the boundary conditions or initial conditions for x and x'. I don't know if there is a way to find a similar or another solution that satisfies: x(t=0) = x0.

Thanks

fkendoul said:
Thank you guys and many thanks for you JJacquelin.
The solution you propose (x(t) = (1/18)(k+3a)(t+(b/a))^3) satisfies the DE but does not satisfy the boundary conditions or initial conditions for x and x'. I don't know if there is a way to find a similar or another solution that satisfies: x(t=0) = x0.
Thanks
But you didn't state any initial condition in your first wording.
I need some help to find the analytical solution of the following DE:
x" - k x/x' = at + b, with x' = dx/dt and x" = d(dx/dt)/dt
Any kind oh help or advices on where I can find some useful resources are really appreciated.
Thank you

Sorry for that JJacquelin. Here is a brief description of my problem. In fact,it is a control problem, we want to control the braking (x, x') of an unmanned small helicopter using the Time-To-Contact information "tau = x/x' " So we have:
tau = x/x', with x(0) = x0 < 0 and x'(0) = x0 > 0
x" = u = k*(tau - tau_ref) , u is a control input
tau_ref = a1*t + b1 with 0 < a1 < 0.5 and b1 = tau0 = x0/x'0

We want to prove that there is a time T where Limit(x(t)) = 0 and Limit(x'(t)) = 0 when t converges to zero.

An option to prove that is to find a solution to the following differential equation:
x" = k*x/x' - k*a1*t - k*b1

I cannot understand the wording :
We want to prove that there is a time T where Limit(x(t)) = 0 and Limit(x'(t)) = 0 when t converges to zero.
The symbol T is not defined and is not used in the equations.

Correction:
"We want to prove that there is a time T where Limit(x(t)) = 0 and Limit(x'(t)) = 0 when t converges to T(not to zero as it was written before)."

T is the time where the solution x(T) = 0 and x'(T) = 0; We want to prove that such time T exists and this can be done by using nonlinear control tools or by solving the following DE:
x" = k*x/x' - k*a1*t - k*b1 with x(0) = x0 and x'(0) = x'0

1. What is a 2nd order nonlinear differential equation?

A 2nd order nonlinear differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves a function, its first and second derivatives, and a nonlinear term. It has the form y'' = f(x, y, y'), where y'' represents the second derivative of the function y with respect to x.

2. Why is it important to solve 2nd order nonlinear differential equations?

2nd order nonlinear differential equations are important in various fields of science, engineering, and mathematics. They are used to model complex processes and phenomena, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and mechanical systems. Solving these equations allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of these systems.

3. How do I solve a 2nd order nonlinear differential equation?

Solving a 2nd order nonlinear differential equation involves finding the general solution or a particular solution to the equation. This can be done using various methods such as separation of variables, substitution, or using special functions like the Laplace transform or power series method.

4. What are the challenges in solving 2nd order nonlinear differential equations?

One of the main challenges in solving 2nd order nonlinear differential equations is that there is no set method or algorithm that can be applied to all equations. Each equation may require a different approach, and some equations may not have a closed-form solution. Additionally, the nonlinearity of the equations can make them difficult to solve analytically.

5. Are there any software or tools available for solving 2nd order nonlinear differential equations?

Yes, there are various software and tools available for solving 2nd order nonlinear differential equations. Some popular programs include MATLAB, Wolfram Mathematica, and Maple. These programs use numerical methods to approximate the solution, making it easier to solve complex equations. However, it is important to have a good understanding of the underlying theory and concepts before using these tools.