Solve Differential Eq: xe^-1/(k+e^-1) for x, k, t

In summary: I am not sure why this thread is posted under Pre-Calculus either, but I hope this summary helps anyone who might be struggling with solving this differential equation. In summary, we can solve the differential equation $\frac{dx}{dt}= xe^{-1/(k+e^{-1})}$ by treating x as a continuous variable and using the method of separation of variables. We can then obtain a relation between x, k, and t by solving for x and plugging in the given initial condition.
Shah 72
MHB
The number of organisms in a population at time t is denoted by x. Treating x as a continuous variable, the differential equation satisfied by x and t is dx/dt= xe^-1/(k+e^-1), where k is a positive constant..
Given that x =10 when t=0 solve the differential equation, obtaining a relation between x, k and t.
Pls help. Iam not able to solve this

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Shah 72 said:
The number of organisms in a population at time t is denoted by x. Treating x as a continuous variable, the differential equation satisfied by x and t is dx/dt= xe^-1/(k+e^-1), where k is a positive constant..
Given that x =10 when t=0 solve the differential equation, obtaining a relation between x, k and t.
Pls help. Iam not able to solve this
I was able to solve it. I have done a silly mistake of writing e^-1. It's actually e^-t

Why in the world is a thread titled "differential equations" posted under Pre-Calculus?!

Shah 72, cogratulations on being able to do this.

For others who might be interested (and I really can't resist!):
Since $\frac{e^{-1}}{k+ e^{-1}}$ is a constant with respect to the variable, x, we can let $A= \frac{e^{-1}}{k+ e^{-1}}$ and write the equation as
$\frac{dx}{dt}= Ax$.

Then $\frac{dx}{x}= Adt$.

Integrating both sides, $ln(x)= At+ C$.

Taking the exponential of both sides, $x(t)= e^{At+ C}= C'e^{At}$
where $C'= e^C$ (but since C is an arbitrary constant so is C').

We are also told that x(0)= 10. $x(0)= C'e^0= C'= 10$ so
$x(t)= 10e^{At}= 10e^{\frac{e^{-1}t}{k+ e^{-1}}}$

We could also multiply both numerator and denominator of the exponent by $e$ and write the solution as
$x(t)= 10e^{\frac{t}{ke+ 1}}$

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It is used to model and solve various physical and scientific problems.

2. What is the general solution to the given differential equation?

The general solution to the given differential equation is x = Ce^t, where C is a constant. This solution can be obtained by separating the variables and integrating both sides.

3. How do you solve the differential equation for a specific value of k?

To solve the differential equation for a specific value of k, you can substitute the value of k into the equation and then follow the same steps as in the general solution to obtain a specific solution.

4. Can this differential equation be solved using numerical methods?

Yes, this differential equation can be solved using numerical methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta method. These methods involve approximating the solution by using small increments of t.

5. How can this differential equation be applied in real-life situations?

This differential equation can be applied in various real-life situations such as modeling population growth, electrical circuits, and chemical reactions. It can also be used to solve problems in physics, engineering, and economics.