Needing a simple microcontroller to program ADC0831

In summary, the conversation discusses a project involving a LED tomography system and the need for a microcontroller to convert an analog signal to a digital one. The ADC0831, a serial 8-bit ADC, is suggested but concerns are raised about the limited number of levels and complex processing. The Picaxe 8M2, which uses a language similar to Basic Stamp and has 3 ADC inputs, is recommended as a better alternative. The programming software is free and the chip is affordable. The specific command for reading the ADC input is also provided. The original poster expresses gratitude for the recommendation.
satchmo05
Hi all,

I am building a LED tomography system (think of it as a simple transmitter and receiver). I would like to do signal processing on the received data, so I am needing to convert my analog, received signal to a digital signal.

The ADC I have chosen is the ADC0831 (DIP package). The schematic for this part is here: http://www.futurlec.com/ADConv/ADC0831.gif. I need a microcontroller that I can program to provide the high and low signals needed to use this ADC.

Does anyone have any experience in doing this? I have seen the Basic Stamp used in this, but I would like to keep the sizing of the microcontroller to a minimum (if possible). Thanks!

- Satchmo05

Engineering news on Phys.org
The ADC0831 is an 8 bit ADC and it is serial, which means you only get 256 levels and you have to do a lot of bit-bashing to get a result.

I would suggest you get a Picaxe 8M2.
This uses a language similar to the Basic Stamp, it does 10 bit ADC so you get 1024 levels of ADC, and it is a small 8 pin chip which just needs 5 volts to operate.
And it actually has 3 ADC inputs.

You need to make up a simple 3 wire programming cable but you can salvage the wire from an old serial mouse.

The programming software is free and the chip costs about $3
www.picaxe.com

The actual command for reading the ADC input is
readadc10 c.4, W4
where c.4 describes pin 3 of the chip, and W4 is the variable you put the value into.

Then you can use W4 in calculations as you like.

Thanks vk6kro,

The part seems like a great find for my application. Cheers,

- Satchmo05

1. What is a microcontroller?

A microcontroller is a small computer on a single integrated circuit chip that is designed to control a specific task or set of tasks. It typically contains a processor, memory, and input/output peripherals, making it ideal for embedded systems and other low-power applications.

2. What is an ADC0831?

An ADC0831 is an 8-bit analog-to-digital converter (ADC) that converts analog signals into digital signals. It is commonly used in microcontroller-based systems to measure and convert analog inputs into digital values that can be processed and used in a variety of applications.

3. Why do I need a simple microcontroller to program an ADC0831?

The ADC0831 requires a microcontroller to control and read its output. This is because the ADC0831 only converts analog signals into digital values, but it does not have the capability to store or process these values on its own. Therefore, a microcontroller is needed to program and utilize the ADC0831's output.

4. What are some common uses for a microcontroller and ADC0831 combination?

Microcontrollers and ADC0831s are commonly used in a variety of electronic devices and systems, such as temperature sensors, light sensors, motor control systems, and data acquisition systems. They are also commonly used in hobbyist and DIY projects, as they are relatively inexpensive and easy to interface with other components.

5. Can I use any microcontroller to program an ADC0831?

Yes, as long as the microcontroller has the necessary input/output pins and is able to communicate with the ADC0831, it can be used to program and utilize its output. However, it is important to ensure that the microcontroller has enough processing power and memory to handle the ADC0831's output data.