Mono Audio DAC for ~20Mhz Microcontroller Synthesizer

In summary, the synthesizer box will have a variety of controls to allow users to produce sound analog straight to headphones or external speakers. The microcontroller used will be 16 bit due to the error in 8bit calculations for audio, but a dac can be purchased to convert from digital to analog.
X89codered89X
I have just joined EE senior design class. We have decided on making a synthesizer box with bunches of controls available to us. Ultimately, we would like to be able to output sound analog straight to headphones or external speakers through a 3.5 mm jack (standard headphones plug).

I was looking through parts however, and can't seem to find a suitable audio DAC chip. The microcontroller we are using will be 16 bit architecture due to the error in 8bit calculations for audio. Would it be impossible to get a dac that can convert from digital to analog 1) mono channel or stereo 2) at a data rate of 48Ksamples/second.

Part of the problem might be that I'm not totally sure what I'm looking for. I initially assumed i was looking for something that looked like this in 16-bit form...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/32/8_bit_DAC.jpg

...in which each input pin would be a digital output pin of the Microcontroller. But everything with quality output I find either seems to be using advanced communication techniques such as I2C such as the max5541 or SPDIF as seen in this demo...

http://scanlime.org/2011/04/spdif-digital-audio-on-a-microcontroller/

...but this requires much higher communication rates in the Ghz range. Can a microcontroller that's doing a whole bunch of other crap also output a 6Ghz Serial signal. Why is this crap so complex? There is also this IC that keeps showing up in my searches called the PCM2902 that I can't make heads or tails of. It looks like filter for analog signals but implemented digitally; it's called a DAC but for some reason it has an ADC... what's going on here?

It must be easier than I'm making this, but as per usual, I'm missing something basic when it comes to applications of theoretical EE courses.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I found 80+ devices in 1 minute. Here's the first one:

http://search.digikey.com/us/en/products/LTC1657CGN%23PBF/LTC1657CGN%23PBF-ND/963782

I suggest that the weak link in your course is finding components. This is something every EE should have a handle on.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of a Mono Audio DAC for a ~20Mhz Microcontroller Synthesizer?

A Mono Audio DAC (Digital-to-Analog Converter) is a device that converts digital audio signals from a microcontroller into an analog signal that can be played through speakers or headphones. In a ~20Mhz Microcontroller Synthesizer, the Mono Audio DAC is used to generate and control sound waves to create music or other audio effects.

2. How does a Mono Audio DAC work with a microcontroller?

The Mono Audio DAC works by converting digital audio signals from the microcontroller into analog signals that vary in voltage and frequency, depending on the desired sound. These signals are then amplified and sent to a speaker or headphone output for audio playback.

3. Can a Mono Audio DAC be used with any microcontroller?

Yes, a Mono Audio DAC can be used with any microcontroller as long as it has the necessary pins and communication protocols to connect to the DAC. However, the microcontroller's processing speed and memory may affect the quality and complexity of the audio output.

4. What are the benefits of using a Mono Audio DAC in a ~20Mhz Microcontroller Synthesizer?

The use of a Mono Audio DAC allows for greater control and flexibility in creating and manipulating sound waves in a ~20Mhz Microcontroller Synthesizer. It also produces higher quality audio output compared to using the microcontroller's built-in PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) for audio generation.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Mono Audio DAC in a ~20Mhz Microcontroller Synthesizer?

One limitation of using a Mono Audio DAC in a ~20Mhz Microcontroller Synthesizer is that it can only generate mono audio, meaning it cannot produce stereo sound. Additionally, the quality of the audio output may be limited by the microcontroller's processing speed and memory, as well as the resolution and accuracy of the DAC itself.