Register to reply

What were the first applications of quantum mechanics to technology?

Share this thread:
mjpam
Feb8-12, 08:39 PM
P: 76
This thread is primarily the history of quantum mechanics, so I am not sure if it is appropriate for this forum.

I understand that most of the foundational experiments in quantum mechanics were done in the first two or three decades of the 20th century. As far as I can remember, it is hard to explain semiconductor band gap theory without appealing to quantum mechanics, so the development of the solid state transistor required the quantum mechanics to occur.

Is there another technology that applies quantum mechanics that was developed earlier than the transistor?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Step lightly: All-optical transistor triggered by single photon promises advances in quantum applications
The unifying framework of symmetry reveals properties of a broad range of physical systems
What time is it in the universe?
Bill_K
Feb9-12, 01:41 PM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 4,160
X-ray machines
mjpam
Feb10-12, 06:34 PM
P: 76
Quote Quote by Bill_K View Post
X-ray machines
X-rays were discover before the formalization of quantum mechanics, though.

Ynaught?
Feb10-12, 07:36 PM
P: 64
What were the first applications of quantum mechanics to technology?

I'd say the transistor.
akhmeteli
Feb10-12, 08:35 PM
P: 597
Quote Quote by mjpam View Post
Is there another technology that applies quantum mechanics that was developed earlier than the transistor?
I would say quantum mechanics was applied earlier than that to electronic microscopy, as quantum effects determine the ultimate resolution of this imaging technology.
gomunkul51
Feb11-12, 07:58 AM
P: 275
I would say atomic fission was harnessed solely by the use of the quantum theory of physics (Nuclear weapons, thermonuclear power).

Register to reply