Double Slit - Post Incident Detection

In summary, The conversation discusses the double slit experiment and whether temperature gradients can be observed when shooting hot particles through the slits. The conclusion is that such an experiment has not been done and is not possible since temperature is a property of large aggregates of particles.
simplyred
Hey All,

I'm probably going to get railed for not searching hard enough for an answer to my idiotic question, but here goes anyways...

The double slit experiment results go like this [correct me if I'm wrong here]
1/ One slit open --> One band\probability dist.
2/ Two slits open --> Interference Pattern
3/ Two slits open with detector at slit --> 2 individual non-interfering bands\probability dist., essentially we've collapsed the wave function and forced the particle properties by "looking".

I hope I've understood that at least - yes?

So my question is - has anyone set up an experiment in a cold box with a thermally sensitive material for the slits and then shot hot particles one-by-one, then measured any temperature gradients across the slits after registering on the other side of the wall?

Would this be considered post-entrance detection? Will the heat signature will still be there? Is this even possible?

I'm guessing - there won't be any and we'll just get result #2? Just checking to see if this has been done or is not even required...

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Such an experiment has not been done. The problem is that temperature is a property of large aggregates of particles (look at its thermodynamic definition to confirm) so cannot be meaningfully applied to individual isolated particles. Thus, there's no such thing as "hot particles, one-by-one".

1. What is the Double Slit experiment?

The Double Slit experiment is a classic physics experiment that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light. It involves shining a beam of light through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen.

2. What is Post Incident Detection (PID)?

Post Incident Detection (PID) is a technique used in the Double Slit experiment to determine which slit a particle or wave has passed through after it has already passed through the slits. This allows for the observation of the interference pattern even when the particles or waves are being detected.

3. How does Post Incident Detection work?

Post Incident Detection works by using a detector at the slits to determine whether a particle or wave has passed through. This information is then used to determine which slit the particle or wave has passed through and is recorded for analysis.

4. What is the significance of Post Incident Detection in the Double Slit experiment?

The significance of Post Incident Detection in the Double Slit experiment is that it allows for the observation and measurement of both the particle-like and wave-like behavior of light. Without PID, the detection of particles or waves at the slits would disrupt the interference pattern and make it impossible to observe both behaviors simultaneously.

5. Can Post Incident Detection be applied to other experiments?

Yes, Post Incident Detection can be applied to other interference experiments involving particles or waves, such as the Mach-Zehnder interferometer. It can also be applied to other fields of science, such as quantum computing and cryptography, for precise measurements and control of particles and waves.