Biot-Savarts law

by Niles
Tags: biotsavarts
Share this thread:
Niles
Feb11-12, 05:41 AM
P: 1,863
Hi

When solving Biot-Savarts law for a current loop of radius R, the magnetic field on the axis of the loop is given by (in Tesla)
[tex]
B(z) = \mu_0I\frac{R^2}{(R^2+z^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}
[/tex]
where I is the current through the loop. However, this derivation assumes that the loop has an infinitesimal thickness. But how is the "proper" way to take into account the fact that a current loops has a finite thickness?

My book on Electrodynamics (Griffiths) does not address this issue, and it is something I have thought about for some time.

Best,
Niles.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
Team finds elusive quantum transformations near absolute zero
Scientists control surface tension to manipulate liquid metals (w/ Video)
Dadface
Feb11-12, 10:09 AM
PF Gold
P: 2,031
Quote Quote by Niles View Post
Hi

When solving Biot-Savarts law for a current loop of radius R, the magnetic field on the axis of the loop is given by (in Tesla)
[tex]
B(z) = \mu_0I\frac{R^2}{(R^2+z^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}
[/tex]
where I is the current through the loop. However, this derivation assumes that the loop has an infinitesimal thickness. But how is the "proper" way to take into account the fact that a current loops has a finite thickness?

My book on Electrodynamics (Griffiths) does not address this issue, and it is something I have thought about for some time.

Best,
Niles.
I suppose by carrying out a more sophisticated integration where,perhaps,the thick coil can be considered as a number of narrow coils connected side by side and making good electrical contact with eachother.

(Is your equation missing a 2pi?)

Register to reply