Faraday's Law with Zero Resistance Current Loop

In summary, Dale's idea is that the current induced in the loop due to Faraday's law will create its own magnetic field, which will cancel out the magnetic field from the dipole. However, this theory is not completely explained by classical physics and may not hold in the case of superconductors.
Luxucs
Hi there,

I was recently helping a friend of mine with a fairly standard electromagnetic induction problem (a basic sketch of the set-up is attached) where we have a current loop with resistance ##R## moving through a magnetic dipole and had to roughly sketch out the current induced in the loop due to Faraday's law. The reason we are able to do this is because Faraday's law will tell us the EMF induced in the loop, and Ohm's law, ##ε = IR##, will let us find the current from that.

However, later that day, I began to think to myself: what if the resistance around the current loop is zero? The current loop is then an ideal conductor, and we are taught that the potential difference across an ideal conductor is zero. However, if we then look back at Faraday's law,

##\oint \vec E \cdot d \vec l = -\frac {d} {dt}\iint \vec B \cdot d \vec A##

We see that no where does the induction of the EMF depend upon the resistance of the loop, and that it only depends upon there being a changing magnetic flux density through the loop. However, if we assume we get an EMF around the loop, then we should have a current in the loop due to the existence of an electric field. In that case, the induced current should create its own magnetic field through the loop. Since there is no resistance in the loop, intuitively I would think that current could flow "freely" and create a magnetic field that would exactly "cancel out" the magnetic field due to the dipole and result in no net flux in the loop. This then means, due to Faraday's law, that the EMF in the loop should then be zero.

Is my line of reasoning correct here within the realm of classical electrodynamics? Or am I missing something?

Attachments

• Faraday's Law.PNG
    Faraday's Law.PNG
    68.5 KB · Views: 436
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
You are missing the inductance of the loop. Even if it has no resistance it has inductance.

Loops like this can be used to partially shield sensitive equipment from changes in the external magnetic field, but it isn’t perfect.

@Dale allow me to say that he is not completely missing the inductance of the loop. At some point in his post he says
Luxucs said:
In that case, the induced current should create its own magnetic field through the loop.

Which means he has in mind the self induction mechanism.

@Luxucs your main idea is correct. But it is not the two magnetic fields that get canceled (the external magnetic field is not exactly canceled out by the magnetic field due to self induction). It is the respective EMFs that get cancelled. The EMF due to movement of the loop will get canceled by the EMF due to self induction of the loop. That is because if we use Kirchoff's Voltage Law in the loop we will have
$$\mathcal{E_M}+\mathcal{E_L}+IR=0$$
where ##\mathcal{E_M}## is the EMF due to movement and ##\mathcal{E_L}## the EMF due to self induction. Since ##R=0## we get from the above equation that ##\mathcal{E_M}=-\mathcal{E_L}##.BUT (there is a big great "but" here ) I am not so sure about this too because we are entering the regime of superconducting materials (R=0) which is not completely explained using classical physics.

1. What is Faraday's Law with Zero Resistance Current Loop?

Faraday's Law with Zero Resistance Current Loop is a physical law that states that an electric current will be induced in a closed loop when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field. This is possible when the loop has zero resistance, meaning that there is no opposition to the flow of electric current.

2. How does Faraday's Law with Zero Resistance Current Loop work?

According to Faraday's Law, when a closed loop of zero resistance is placed in a changing magnetic field, an electric current will be induced in the loop. This is because the changing magnetic field will create an electric field, which will cause charges to move in the loop, resulting in an induced current.

3. What is the significance of zero resistance in Faraday's Law with Zero Resistance Current Loop?

The significance of zero resistance in Faraday's Law is that it allows for the induced current to flow without any opposition. This results in a large amount of current being induced, making it useful for various applications, such as in transformers and generators.

4. What are some real-life applications of Faraday's Law with Zero Resistance Current Loop?

One common application of Faraday's Law with Zero Resistance Current Loop is in transformers, where it is used to step up or step down the voltage of an alternating current. It is also used in generators, which convert mechanical energy into electrical energy.

5. How is Faraday's Law with Zero Resistance Current Loop related to Lenz's Law?

Faraday's Law with Zero Resistance Current Loop is closely related to Lenz's Law, which states that the direction of the induced current in a closed loop will be such that it opposes the change that caused it. This means that the induced current in a zero resistance loop will flow in a direction that creates a magnetic field that opposes the changing magnetic field that caused the current to be induced.