Prove that a normed space is not Banach

by russel
Tags: banach, normed, prove, space
russel
Feb16-12, 09:21 AM
P: 13
Hello everyone,
I have a problem and cannot solve it. Could you help? Here it is
We have a normed space and an uncountable Hamel basis of it. Prove that it is not a Banach space.
Should I use Baire theorem? Any suggestions?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA's space station Robonaut finally getting legs
Free the seed: OSSI nurtures growing plants without patent barriers
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
micromass
Feb16-12, 09:50 AM
Mentor
P: 16,633
You're not giving us much information to work with. If you want to show something not Banach, then try to find a Cauchy sequence which does not converge.
There are other ways to prove this of course. A lot depends on the space in question.
alan2
Feb16-12, 10:37 AM
P: 188
You must have a particular space in mind that you didn't specify. An infinite dimensional Banach space necessarily has an uncountable Hamel basis so your result is not general. You need to show that your space is not complete. What is your space?

russel
Feb16-12, 12:12 PM
P: 13

Prove that a normed space is not Banach

The exercise does not refer to a particular space. It is just a normed space X with an uncountable Hamel basis. A solution I came up with was to make a finite dimension closed subspace and show using baire that it is X, leading to a contadiction.
If the problem gave us a space for this example which one would that be?
micromass
Feb16-12, 12:13 PM
Mentor
Could you quote the exercise exactly as it was given??
Bacle2
Feb16-12, 12:39 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,168
Quote Quote by russel View Post
The exercise does not refer to a particular space. It is just a normed space X with an uncountable Hamel basis. A solution I came up with was to make a finite dimension closed subspace and show using baire that it is X, leading to a contadiction.
If the problem gave us a space for this example which one would that be?
But, how could you prove that a closed subspace of an undefined space equals the space itself?
micromass
Feb16-12, 01:09 PM
Mentor
Also notice that a finite dimensional normed space is always Banach, so your proof is likely incorrect.

Register to reply