Help Needed Proving Implication for Linear Functional on Banach Space

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in proving the implication that any linear functional l on a Banach Space B is continuous if and only if the set A, defined as the kernel of l, is closed. The speaker is struggling with proving this claim and mentions using the concept of being bound as an alternative approach.
cbarker1
Gold Member
MHB
Homework Statement
Show that for any linear functional ##l## on ##B## is continuous if and only if ##A=\{f\in\B:l(f)=0\}## is closed.
Relevant Equations
#B# is a Banach space over the complex field and #ker(l)={f\in \mcalB: l(f)=0}#
Dear everybody,

I am having some trouble proving the implication (or the forward direction.) Here is my work:

Suppose that we have an arbitrary linear functional ##l## on a Banach Space ##B## is continuous. Since ##l## is continuous linear functional on B, in other words, we want show that ##l^{-1}\{0\}=A## and this is closed. I am having trouble with this claim.

Thanks
Carter

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cbarker1 said:
Homework Statement:: Show that for any linear functional #l# on #B# is continuous if and only if #A=\{f\in\mclB:l(f)=0\}# is closed.
Relevant Equations:: #B# is a Banach space over the complex field and #ker(l)={f\in \mcalB: l(f)=0}#

Dear everybody,

I am having some trouble proving the implication (or the forward direction.) Here is my work:

Suppose that we have an arbitrary linear functional l on a Banach Space #B# is continuous. Since #l# is continuous linear functional on #B#, in other words, we want show that #l^{-1}{0}=A# and this is closed. I am having trouble with this claim.

Thanks
Carter
It is also equivalent to being bound. You can use this for the way back.

@cbarker1 : Please use a double hash to wrap your math. Like in ##l^{-1}##, instead of a single one , like #l^{-1}#.

1. What is a linear functional on a Banach space?

A linear functional on a Banach space is a continuous linear map from the Banach space to the underlying field (usually the real or complex numbers). It takes in an element of the Banach space and outputs a scalar value.

2. How is a linear functional different from a vector in a Banach space?

A linear functional is a map from the Banach space to the underlying field, while a vector in a Banach space is an element of the space itself. A linear functional operates on vectors in the Banach space, but it is not itself a vector.

3. Why is proving implication for linear functionals on Banach spaces important?

Proving implication for linear functionals on Banach spaces is important because it allows us to understand the relationship between different functionals and their corresponding Banach spaces. It also helps us to establish important properties and theorems in functional analysis.

4. What are some common techniques used to prove implication for linear functionals on Banach spaces?

Some common techniques used to prove implication for linear functionals on Banach spaces include using the Hahn-Banach theorem, the Banach-Steinhaus theorem, and the open mapping theorem. Other techniques may involve using properties of the Banach space or the properties of the linear functional itself.

5. Are there any real-world applications for proving implication for linear functionals on Banach spaces?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for proving implication for linear functionals on Banach spaces. This concept is important in areas such as optimization, differential equations, and quantum mechanics. It also has applications in engineering, economics, and other fields where functional analysis is used.