Linear Algebra Question

by mhdella
Tags: algebra, linear
mhdella
Feb16-12, 03:58 AM
P: 3
Letís say that we have a constant matrix A which is the coefficients matrix and column vector U of control variable as well as column vector X of state variables:
X=A*U
The question is: What is the proper technique in Linear Algebra that I should do to know which element in U has the most impact on the corresponding perturbed element in X.
On other words, there is an element in X has been perturbed and I would like to correct it by adjusting a few (as less as I can) elements in U.
I know the maximum element in the corresponding row of A which is multiplied by U column vector would have the most effect and by that I will know the corresponding element in U, but I am searching about a formal linear algebra technique to deal with this not algorithmic or programming procedure
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
Bacle2
Feb17-12, 04:47 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,168
Just an idea:

Is the matrix A diagonalizable? If so, maybe the diagonal form would make it
clearer .
sunjin09
Feb17-12, 07:30 PM
P: 312
If A is invertible, then the adjustment is unique, if A is rank deficient, the adjustment can be made minimal in L2 norm if you use pseudoinverse, if you want minimal L1 norm adjustment, you go with nonlinear optimization.

mhdella
Feb19-12, 06:07 AM

Linear Algebra Question

i appreciate it. Thanx
mhdella
Feb19-12, 06:16 AM
How can I do that by using singular value decomposition?

Register to reply