Register to reply

Proof of commutative property in exponential matrices using power series

Share this thread:
Paalfaal
Feb18-12, 08:42 AM
P: 10
I'm trying to prove eA eB = eA + B using the power series expansion eXt = [itex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}[/itex]Xntn/n!

and so
eA eB = [itex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}[/itex]An/n! [itex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}[/itex]Bn/n!

I think the binomial theorem is the way to go: (x + y)n = [itex]\displaystyle \binom{n}{k}[/itex] xn - k yk = [itex]\displaystyle \binom{n}{k}[/itex] yn - k xk, ie. it's only true for AB = BA.

I'm really bad at manipulating series and matrices. Could I please get some hints?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists discover RNA modifications in some unexpected places
Scientists discover tropical tree microbiome in Panama
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
kai_sikorski
Feb18-12, 10:47 AM
PF Gold
P: 162
You are correct that the binomial theorem will be useful. The theorem you're trying to prove IS only valid if AB = BA, so the fact that the binomial theorem breaks down otherwise is not a concern. Personally I think I would find it easier to start from the opposite direction than you

[tex] \sum_{n = 0}^\infty \frac{(A + B)^n}{n!} = \sum_{n = 0}^\infty \frac{1}{n!} \sum_{k=0}^n \left(
\begin{array}{c}
n \\
k \\
\end{array}
\right) A^k B^{n-k} [/tex]
[tex] = \sum_{n = 0}^\infty \sum_{k=0}^n \frac{1}{(n-k)!(k)!}A^k B^{n-k}[/tex]

Now what I'll do is pull out all the terms where [itex]k=0[/itex] from the sum

[tex]= I \left( I + B + \frac{1}{2} B^2 + \frac{1}{6} B^3 + \ldots \right) + \sum_{n = 1}^\infty \sum_{k=1}^n \frac{1}{(n-k)!(k)!}A^k B^{n-k}[/tex]

Can you follow what I did there? Notice the lower bound on the sums changed. Let me do it for two more terms so you definitely get the idea

[tex] = I \left( I + B + \frac{1}{2} B^2 + \frac{1}{6} B^3 + \ldots \right) [/tex]
[tex] + A \left( I + B + \frac{1}{2} B^2 + \frac{1}{6} B^3 + \ldots \right) [/tex]
[tex] + \frac{A}{2} \left( I + B + \frac{1}{2} B^2 + \frac{1}{6} B^3 + \ldots \right) [/tex]
[tex]+ \sum_{n = 3}^\infty \sum_{k=3}^n \frac{1}{(n-k)!(k)!}A^k B^{n-k}[/tex]

Notice that after [itex]k \ge 2[/itex] we need to start pulling out factors of [itex]\frac{1}{k!}[/itex]. Okay now can you see how this process would continue? How would you write down the above idea using the sum notation instead of the [itex]\ldots[/itex] I used? Once you figure that out I think you'll be able to prove your result.
kai_sikorski
Feb18-12, 11:01 AM
PF Gold
By the way if you're trying to write a rigorous proof, I would concentrate on proving the first statement I made where I pulled out some terms. Then you can easily pull out an A factor, and shift indices; and then work by induction.

Fredrik
Feb18-12, 01:46 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,529
Proof of commutative property in exponential matrices using power series

It might be a good idea to first prove the formula for products of series and then use that result along with the binomial theorem to prove the result you want.
$$\bigg(\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n\bigg)\bigg(\sum_{k=0}^\infty b_n\bigg)=\sum_{n=0}^\infty\sum_{k=0}^n a_k b_{n-k}.$$
Paalfaal
Feb18-12, 04:31 PM
P: 10
Quote Quote by kai_sikorski View Post
[tex] + \frac{A}{2} \left( I + B + \frac{1}{2} B^2 + \frac{1}{6} B^3 + \ldots \right) [/tex]
I think it should be an A2 instead of A this line..

However, it made sense now. Thank you so much! Very helpful
kai_sikorski
Feb18-12, 04:38 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Paalfaal View Post
I think it should be an A2 instead of A this line..

However, it made sense now. Thank you so much! Very helpful
You are correct.

Register to reply