Microsoft Office vs.Google Docs: Do you use them ?

• Thread starter rhody
  • Start date
In summary: Apache software. In summary, Rhody recommends Google Docs, Open Office, and Libre Office as viable options for small business entrepreneurs. Cost, features, safety, and ease of use are all factors to consider.
rhody
Gold Member
For small business entrepreneurs, for those who have used the internet:

Which are better, why in your opinion:

Cost:
Features:
Safety:
Flexibility:
Ease of Use:

I had a look at Google Docs and a comparison with http://www.pcworld.com/article/168309/microsoft_office_vsgoogle_docs_a_web_apps_showdown.html.

I am trying to get a feel for them so I don't make a decision I will later regret because of a limitation, cost that I didn't fully think through.

This is a pretty savvy group. Small business startup stories, good, bad, and ugly (to save others the same fate, hehe... are encouraged.)

Rhody... :wink:

Computer science news on Phys.org
Have you tried Open Office? It's free, even for business use.

It depends on the level of sophistication needed. There is no doubt MS Office is light years ahead of Google Docs. That is mostly because of the limitations of web technology. However for basic functions, Google Docs works great and I use it. turbo mentions Open Office which is a great free alternative that offers greater sophistication. Still not as much as MS office, but good enough for 95% of users. Also look into Libre Office.

Yes, I have OpenOffice Turbo, it is nice as a free alternative of MS Orifice (sorry I had to get a shot in there).

Greg said:
It depends on the level of sophistication needed.
If you conduct all the tracking, expense, etc... for PF with it, it should more than meet my needs, you also said, to check out "Libre Office". I will. Are there any hidden costs to using Google Doc's ?

If I were to launch a small business, backup of my "critical" files are a consideration, as well as limited access to expense information, other than that, it appears it could meet my needs. Thanks guys, I will try to do a more due diligence before making up my mind.

Rhody...

Hi rhody, in response to your pm, i have always used MS Office and have never really shopped this. All of my biggest customers use the office format and the potential compatitibility issues [remember the old days esp] kept me from even bothering to shop.

I use Quicken for invoicing.

I have Office installed by Dell when I buy a computer. This way, any related software problems are covered under warranty. To me, this is worth its weight in gold. Rather than digging through help files at MS, I just make a phone call and the problem gets handled. My first rule of thumb for business computers: Buy up [max out RAM and HD] and get everything you can pre-installed.

If you are doing a lot of word processing that you need to exchange with other people in .doc formats its just easier to bite the bullet and go with Microsoft. If you are in the mood for sticking it the man and a little savvy Open Office is a legitimate alternative, although it can be frustrating at times switching between formats.

turbo said:
Have you tried Open Office? It's free, even for business use.

LibreOffice is better, and has the most development thrown behind it.

Personally, I use LaTeX for documents and MATLAB for calculations, and LibreOffice in rare cases. (Also worth mentioning I'm on Linux.) With LaTeX and MATLAB, anything important is pushed to a private repository on Github.

I use Google Docs for collaboration.

I'll add another suggestion for Libre Office.

Just to be clear, Libre Office is the spiritual successor to Open Office. Oracle bought Open Office, and many people didn't like how they ran it. So most the developers took the code from Open Office (which was open source), and started a 'fork' called Libre Office. At the start the only difference between the two was the name. However there has been a lot of work done on Libre Office in the months since it launched, and it seems that Open Office is doomed to largely stagnate.

DaleSwanson said:
I'll add another suggestion for Libre Office.

Just to be clear, Libre Office is the spiritual successor to Open Office. Oracle bought Open Office, and many people didn't like how they ran it. So most the developers took the code from Open Office (which was open source), and started a 'fork' called Libre Office. At the start the only difference between the two was the name. However there has been a lot of work done on Libre Office in the months since it launched, and it seems that Open Office is doomed to largely stagnate.
Dale,

Thanks for the application history lesson. I will download Libre Office and give it a spin.

Rhody...

It actually gets more interesting. LibreOffice/The Document Foundation tried to get the OpenOffice.org* name from Oracle, but they kicked the LibreOffice team out of the Oo_O group. Then Oracle decided that they didn't want Oo_O, so they gave the project to the Apache Software Foundation, so now Oo_O is Apache OpenOffice and there are effectively two competing versions.

By this point everyone has pretty much switched over to LibreOffice.

*There's actually a distinct Open Office, so the name is technically OpenOffice.org.

1. What is the difference between Microsoft Office and Google Docs?

Microsoft Office is a suite of desktop applications that includes programs like Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. These programs are installed on a user's computer and can be accessed without an internet connection. Google Docs, on the other hand, is a web-based application that offers similar programs, such as Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides. These programs are accessed through a web browser and require an internet connection to use.

2. Which one is better for collaboration?

Google Docs is better for collaboration as it allows multiple users to work on a document simultaneously. Changes made by one user are immediately visible to others, making it easier to work together in real-time. Microsoft Office also offers collaboration features, but they are not as seamless as Google Docs.

3. Are the features and functions the same in both Microsoft Office and Google Docs?

The basic features and functions in both Microsoft Office and Google Docs are similar, such as creating documents, spreadsheets, and presentations. However, they may differ in more advanced features and formatting options. It is best to test both and see which one meets your specific needs.

4. Can files be converted from Microsoft Office to Google Docs and vice versa?

Yes, both Microsoft Office and Google Docs allow for file conversion. In Google Docs, you can upload and convert Microsoft Office files to Google Docs format, and in Microsoft Office, you can save files as Google Docs format.

5. Is Microsoft Office or Google Docs more cost-effective?

Google Docs is more cost-effective as it is free to use, while Microsoft Office requires a subscription or one-time purchase. However, Microsoft Office may offer more advanced features and customization, which may be worth the cost for some users.