What does H represent in the graph of y = 2H(x - 4)?

• Thread starter jaja1990
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean
In summary, the conversation is about the Heaviside step function H(x) and its definition. The function has two different definitions, one with H(0) = 1/2 and the other with H(0) = 0. This difference is generally insignificant in particle applications, but it may be important in certain situations, such as using a Fourier series approximation.
jaja1990
What does "H" mean?!

I have this question in my assignment paper:-

8. Sketch the graph of:
(a)
y = |2x − 2|;
(b)
y = 2H(x − 4)

(a) is obvious, but how do I sketch (b)? Does "H" stand for some specific constant?

Mathematics news on Phys.org

The webpage in the link you've given says:-
The function is:-
0 when x < 0,
1/2 when x = 0,
1 when x > 0.
But here: http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaviside_Function, defines the function as:-
1 when x => 0,
0 when x < 0.

To begin with, which should I follow?

I think that H(0)=0 correponds to an old definition remaining from history and that the standard definition is with H(0)=1/2.
Generally this is of no consequence in particle applications.

JJacquelin said:
I think that H(0)=0 correponds to an old definition remaining from history and that the standard definition is with H(0)=1/2.
Generally this is of no consequence in particle applications.

If one wanted to use an approximation like a Fourier series version, then it makes sense to define H(0) as 1/2 based on properties of Fourier series when you have this kind of 'Gibbs' phenomenon.

1. What does "H" stand for in science?

In science, "H" can stand for a variety of things depending on the context. Some common meanings include hydrogen, enthalpy, and the Higgs boson particle.

2. What is the atomic symbol for "H"?

The atomic symbol for "H" is hydrogen, which has an atomic number of 1 and is the lightest element on the periodic table.

3. What is the significance of "H" in the pH scale?

In the pH scale, "H" represents the concentration of hydrogen ions in a solution. The more "H" ions present, the lower the pH and the more acidic the solution is.

4. How is "H" used in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, "H" typically refers to enthalpy, which is a measure of the total energy of a system. It is often used to analyze heat transfer and chemical reactions.

5. What is the role of "H" in particle physics?

In particle physics, "H" is often used to represent the Higgs boson particle, which is a fundamental particle that is thought to give other particles their mass.