Consecutive vertical and horizontal transformations of a function

In summary, the question asks for the formula for h(x), obtained by transforming f(x)=(2^x)+1 through a vertical stretch by scale factor 8, a translation by vector (1,4), and a horizontal stretch by scale factor 1/2. The formula for h(x) is h(x)=4^(x+1)+16x-4. It is important to note that the horizontal shift is applied prior to the horizontal stretch.
pluto1
Dear all,
I am stuck on this question:
"If f(x)=(2^x)+1, give in simplest terms the formula for h(x), which is obtained from transforming f(x) by

a vertical stretch, scale factor 8 relative to y=0
a translation by vector (1,4)
a horizontal stretch, scale factor 1/2 relative to x=0"

This is what I understand from the question:

A vertical stretch by scale factor 8 means h(x)= 8 f(x)
A translation by vector (1,4) means h(x)= f(x-1) + 4
A horizontal stretch by scale factor 1/2 means h(x)= f(1/2x)
Where the horizontal shift is applied prior to the horizontal stretch.

This gives me

h(x)= 8 ((2^(1/2 x-1) + 1/2 x - 1))+ 4
h(x)= 2^(2x-2) + 16 x - 4

h(x)=4^(x+1)+16x-4 according to the solutions at the back of my textbook. I would really appreciate some help. Thank you so much in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
In what order are you doing these transformations?

I applied the horizontal changes before the vertical changes, with the translation by -1 prior to the stretch by 1/2

I just tried the opposite with all the vertical changes first but that does not give me the correct solution either

1. What is a consecutive vertical and horizontal transformation?

A consecutive vertical and horizontal transformation refers to the process of applying two or more transformations to a function in a specific order. These transformations can include shifting the function vertically or horizontally, stretching or compressing it, and reflecting it over the x or y-axis. These transformations can change the shape, location, and size of the graph of the function.

2. How do you perform a consecutive vertical and horizontal transformation on a function?

To perform a consecutive vertical and horizontal transformation on a function, first determine the order in which the transformations should be applied. Then, use the appropriate formulas to shift the function vertically or horizontally, stretch or compress it, and reflect it over the x or y-axis. Finally, plot the new points and connect them to create the transformed graph.

3. What is the difference between a vertical and horizontal transformation?

A vertical transformation changes the y-values of a function, while a horizontal transformation changes the x-values. In other words, a vertical transformation shifts the graph up or down, while a horizontal transformation shifts it left or right. Both types of transformations can also stretch or compress the function and reflect it over the x or y-axis.

4. How do consecutive transformations affect the graph of a function?

Consecutive transformations can significantly change the graph of a function. They can alter the shape, location, and size of the graph, and even change the domain and range of the function. It is essential to understand the order of transformations and how they affect the function to accurately graph the transformed function.

5. Can consecutive transformations be performed in any order?

No, the order in which the transformations are applied matters. For example, shifting a function horizontally and then vertically will result in a different graph than first shifting it vertically and then horizontally. It is essential to follow the correct order of transformations to get the desired result.