Register to reply

Generating full sequence with complex numbers.

by smithnya
Tags: complex, generating, numbers, sequence
Share this thread:
smithnya
Feb21-12, 10:40 PM
P: 41
Hello everyone,

I need some help with the following: I understand that by using xn = axn-1+b we can generate a full sequence of numbers. For example, if x1=ax0+b, then x2 = ax1+b = a2x0+ab+b, and so on and so forth to xn. I need help applying this same concept to complex numbers (a+bi). Is it even possible? I think it is, but I can't figure it out. Can some one lend a hand?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists discover RNA modifications in some unexpected places
Scientists discover tropical tree microbiome in Panama
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
tiny-tim
Feb22-12, 04:48 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,148
hello smithnya!

this is a recurrence relation

its solutions should be of the same form, whether the constants are real or complex
were you having a problem with any particular relation?
smithnya
Feb22-12, 09:20 AM
P: 41
Well, my professor began to explain the relation among real numbers, and he explained for x0, x1, x2, etc. He mentioned that the same could be done with complex numbers, but never went into detail, maybe he will explain later. It piqued my curiosity, but I can't figure out how to generate a full sequence using the same method above only with something of the form a+bi.

HallsofIvy
Feb22-12, 09:59 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,682
Generating full sequence with complex numbers.

As tiny tim said, it is exactly the same thing: [itex]x_{n+1}= ax_n+ b[/itex] will give complex numbers if any one or more of a, b, and [itex]x_0[/itex] is complex.

Register to reply