What is a point of using complex numbers here?

Hill
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Homework Statement
"Here is a basic fact about integers that has many uses in number theory: If two integers can be expressed as the sum of two squares, then so can their product. With the understanding that each symbol denotes an integer, this says that if ##M = a^2 + b^2## and ##N = c^2 + d^2##, then ##MN = p^2 + q^2##. Prove this result by considering ##|(a + ib)(c + id)|^2##."
Relevant Equations
##|x+iy|^2 = x^2 + y^2##
Firstly, the exercise itself is not difficult:
On one hand, $$|(a + ib)(c + id)|^2 = |a + ib|^2|c + id|^2 = (a^2 + b^2) (c^2 + d^2) = MN.$$
On the other hand, ##(a + ib)(c + id) = p+ iq## for some integers p and q, and so $$|(a + ib)(c + id)|^2 = |p + iq|^2 = p^2 + q^2.$$
Thus, ##MN = p^2 + q^2.##

However, it can be done quite straightforwardly, without considering the complex numbers, e.g.,
$$MN = (a^2 + b^2) (c^2 + d^2) = a^2 c^2 + a^2 d^2 + b^2 c^2 + b^2 d^2 =$$$$a^2 c^2 + a^2 d^2 + b^2 c^2 + b^2 d^2 + 2abcd - 2abcd = $$$$(a^2 c^2 + 2abcd + b^2 d^2) + (a^2 d^2 - 2abcd + b^2 c^2) =$$$$(ac + bd)^2 + (ad - bc)^2 = p^2 + q^2.$$

I don't see an advantage of considering the complex numbers in this case. What am I missing?

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
You could prove this slightly more easily by using the properties of the complex modulus. The required algebra is already encapsulated in the equation ##|zw|^2 = |z|^2|w|^2##.

PeroK said:
You could prove this slightly more easily by using the properties of the complex modulus. The required algebra is already encapsulated in the equation ##|zw|^2 = |z|^2|w|^2##.
Thank you. I thought I've used it in this line:
$$|(a + ib)(c + id)|^2 = |a + ib|^2|c + id|^2 = (a^2 + b^2) (c^2 + d^2) = MN.$$
Is there something else there that I didn't use and that could simplify it further?

Hill said:
Thank you. I thought I've used it in this line:
$$|(a + ib)(c + id)|^2 = |a + ib|^2|c + id|^2 = (a^2 + b^2) (c^2 + d^2) = MN.$$
Is there something else there that I didn't use and that could simplify it further?
That looks simpler than the alternative to me.

Likes Hill

1. Why do we need to use complex numbers in this situation?

Complex numbers allow us to represent both real and imaginary components of a number, which can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications where real numbers alone are insufficient.

2. How do complex numbers help solve problems that involve multiple dimensions?

Complex numbers provide a way to represent and manipulate multidimensional quantities in a concise and elegant manner, making them a powerful tool for solving problems in physics, engineering, and other fields.

3. Can't we just stick to using real numbers instead of introducing complex numbers?

While real numbers are sufficient for many purposes, complex numbers offer additional flexibility and mathematical power that can be advantageous in certain situations, such as when dealing with differential equations or analyzing periodic phenomena.

4. Are complex numbers only used in theoretical mathematics or do they have practical applications?

Complex numbers have a wide range of practical applications in fields such as electrical engineering, control systems, signal processing, quantum mechanics, and fluid dynamics, among others.

5. How can I visualize complex numbers and understand their geometric interpretation?

Complex numbers can be visualized as points in a two-dimensional plane, with real numbers represented on the horizontal axis and imaginary numbers on the vertical axis. This geometric interpretation helps to understand properties of complex numbers, such as magnitude and phase.