QM mechanics book for review and reference

by naftali
Tags: quantum mechanics
Share this thread:
naftali
Feb21-12, 03:42 PM
P: 31
Hi,

I'm looking for a QM mechanics book, which I could use for review and reference. I've took 3 QM courses, the first two was based on Cohen-tannoudji and Sakurai, and the third was about atoms and molecules etc. , although I haven't studied scattering theory and relativistic QM/QFT. (I took a course on Group theory for physics too).

I will be happy to get recommendations.

The options I thought about are :

1) Landau and Lifgarbagez / "QM non-relativistic theory" : Probably the most insightful and deep book, also covering a lot, although difficult and concise. The drawbacks I see are old-fashioned and annoying notation, and being somewhat too original (for example, I don't see the deriving of harmonic oscillator energies using ladder operators). In addition, according to reviews in Amazon, the last printing fonts etc. are awful ( Does it really so?)

2) Cohen-tannoudji et al./ "Quantum mechanics" : Encyclopedic, quite nice, but not too advanced (for example, doesn't cover Wigner-Eckart theorem). In addition, barely mentions deeper ideas such as symmetry. Very expensive too.

3) Sakurai / "Modern QM" : Seems deeper than Cohen-tannoudji to me, but more abstract and concise. And expensive too. Good amount of problems.

4) Nouredine Zettili / "Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications" : Very readable, and has many solved problems. Covers the material of my two first courses. I understand from reviews that it has many mistakes.

5) Florian Scheck "Quantum Physics" (http://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Physic...pr_product_top ) I don't know much on this book, but it looks interesting, and covers some QED too, but with with non-usual attitude which I'm not sure about. Does someone know it?

Thanks,
Naftali
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
Fredrik
Feb21-12, 03:48 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,279
Not sure which ones suit you best, but I think Ballentine should be on that list. It's roughly at the level of Sakurai.
naftali
Feb22-12, 02:54 PM
P: 31
Thanks for your response.

Quote Quote by Fredrik View Post
Not sure which ones suit you best, but I think Ballentine should be on that list. It's roughly at the level of Sakurai.
Can you describe its advantages over Sakurai?

Thanks,
Naftali

Register to reply