Which Springer books to buy? (QM, GR and statistical mechanics)

In summary, the speaker is an undergraduate student in Europe looking to buy textbooks on QM, GR, and statistical mechanics during the Springer book sale. They ask for suggestions and a link to a forum discussion is provided. The speaker then recommends several Springer books on the suggested topics, as well as books by Walter Greiner. The speaker notes that most Greiner books are now only available as e-books and suggests buying used copies.
nikovez
Hello, Springer books are on sale this week so I wanted to buy some textbooks to support my studies and (eventual) future career.
I'm an undergrad (in europe) and my courses next year will be QM, GR and statistical mechanics, so I was looking for books about these topics, but any suggestion on what to buy would be very welcome, thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
DrClaude said:
I recommend also the books by Walter Greiner:
Unfortunately, most Greiner books are e-books only these days. I do not know why Springer has discontinued them. I really enjoyed his Quantum mechanics field theory and Quantum mechanics symmetries books.

Can still be bought used for a decent penny.

Likes dextercioby, vanhees71 and DrClaude

1. What are some recommended Springer books for Quantum Mechanics?

Some recommended Springer books for Quantum Mechanics include "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths, "Quantum Mechanics" by Claude Cohen-Tannoudji, and "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman.

2. Are there any Springer books specifically for General Relativity?

Yes, there are several Springer books specifically for General Relativity, such as "A First Course in General Relativity" by Bernard Schutz, "General Relativity" by Robert M. Wald, and "General Relativity for Babies" by Chris Ferrie.

3. Can you recommend a Springer book for Statistical Mechanics?

Some recommended Springer books for Statistical Mechanics include "Statistical Mechanics" by R.K. Pathria and Paul D. Beale, "Introduction to Modern Statistical Mechanics" by David Chandler, and "Statistical Mechanics: Algorithms and Computations" by Werner Krauth.

4. Are there any Springer books that cover all three topics: QM, GR, and statistical mechanics?

Yes, there are a few Springer books that cover all three topics, such as "Quantum Field Theory and Statistical Mechanics" by James Glimm and Arthur Jaffe, "Quantum Field Theory and Statistical Mechanics: Expositions" by Barry Simon, and "Quantum Field Theory and Statistical Mechanics: Green's Function Methods" by James Glimm and Arthur Jaffe.

5. Are there any Springer books with practical applications for QM, GR, and statistical mechanics?

There are several Springer books with practical applications for QM, GR, and statistical mechanics, such as "Quantum Mechanics for Scientists and Engineers" by David A. B. Miller, "General Relativity for Mathematicians" by R. Sachs and H. Wu, and "Statistical Mechanics of Learning" by Vladimir N. Vapnik.