by mathwonk
Tags: jeremy, player, team
Share this thread:
mathwonk
Feb22-12, 09:43 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,453
i can't find a jeremy lin thread. am i clueless and/or are you guys/girls such geeks you are on a different planet? he is from harvard, my alma. i think everyone is still ignoring the obvious, namely that he is showing that basketball is a team game, something the nba has forgotten for decades. moreover players who do not play 4 years in college do not learn this. what do you think?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Suddenly, the sun is eerily quiet: Where did the sunspots go?
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Mammoth and mastodon behavior was less roam, more stay at home
jhae2.718
Feb22-12, 10:45 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,153
Uh, what's basketball?
mathwonk
Feb22-12, 11:14 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
just as i thought.

Chemicist
Feb22-12, 11:16 PM
P: 57
Jeremy lin - team player

Well, I am not a huge fan of basketball, but he has certainly impressed me. We'll see if he can keep it up though. The pressure may kill him.
berkeman
Feb22-12, 11:19 PM
Mentor
P: 40,634
He went to high school about 10 miles from where I live. He shoots 3's now (after his latest shooting coach worked with him) at a world-class level. Great stuff. Hope he keeps it up and sets the bar higher.
mathwonk
Feb23-12, 06:52 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
watch tonight. they are up against the best basketball team in the nba, with lebron james, dwyane(?) wade, and chris bosh,. BUT, a point guard is hopefully more important than 3 stars. so far knicks lead! 32-30. that may be the last time, but so far so good. at least they have not been =embarrassed by the most talented tam in the league.

..did you see that move by amare staudemire?!!
Redbelly98
Feb23-12, 07:21 PM
Mentor
P: 12,064
Halftime, Knicks down 4. Good game so far.

I find it rather ironic that people have cited his Harvard background as a reason he hadn't gotten opportunities to play much before finally being "discovered" a few weeks back. Are there any other professions where having a Harvard degree puts you at such a disadvantage?
DaveC426913
Feb23-12, 08:02 PM
P: 15,319
This should be moved to the PF Sports Forum.

It's the pixel right under the PF Lounge Forum.
Office_Shredder
Feb23-12, 08:35 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,500
Quote Quote by mathwonk View Post
at least they have not been =embarrassed by the most talented tam in the league
No thanks to Jeremy Lin :p
mathwonk
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
funny i thought basketball was a game. i guess geeks think games are things like video games.

anyway the better team won, but they better watch out, they didn't win by nearly as much as they should have with their talent advantage,

indeed lin had a poor game, but he is player who learns.
Ivan Seeking
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,497
Quote Quote by mathwonk View Post
i can't find a jeremy lin thread. am i clueless and/or are you guys/girls such geeks you are on a different planet? he is from harvard, my alma. i think everyone is still ignoring the obvious, namely that he is showing that basketball is a team game, something the nba has forgotten for decades. moreover players who do not play 4 years in college do not learn this. what do you think?
I haven't followed Bball much since Jerry West and Wilt Chamberlain retired.

How's that new kid, Gail Goodrich, working out.
BobG
Feb24-12, 06:11 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,278
Quote Quote by Redbelly98 View Post
Halftime, Knicks down 4. Good game so far.

I find it rather ironic that people have cited his Harvard background as a reason he hadn't gotten opportunities to play much before finally being "discovered" a few weeks back. Are there any other professions where having a Harvard degree puts you at such a disadvantage?
Calvin Hill played football at Yale (and was fraternity brothers with George W Bush) and was drafted in the first round of the NFL draft. I think he's the only football player from the Ivy League to do that.

It actually made some sense, as Tom Landry and the Dallas Cowboys had one of the most complicated offenses of their time.

But for Hill, a high school All-America, going to Yale had more to do with the opportunity to be Yale's first black quarterback than education. He wound up being beat out for the quarterback position and played linebacker before finally becoming a running back.

Bill Bradley, another former Knicks player, attended Princeton and Oxford on a Rhodes Scholarship. After his basketball career, he went into politics and was a Senator and a candidate for President.

Register to reply