Any recent ASUS laptop users out there?

by turbo
Tags: asus, laptop, users
turbo
Feb23-12, 11:52 AM
PF Gold
P: 7,367
A little help please... how do you open the lid without breaking anything? This thing seems jammed shut.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
jedishrfu
Feb23-12, 11:59 AM
P: 2,489
There must be a slide latch on the front. The model number would help.

if its a magnetic latch then maybe a magnet would help. Beware of strong magnets near your machine though.

Lastly, if you look at it edge on do you see any latch pins between the cover and the keyboard. You might be able to use a thin screwdriver to move it and open the cover.
turbo
Feb23-12, 12:12 PM
PF Gold
The model is A53E.

turbo
Feb23-12, 12:13 PM
PF Gold

Any recent ASUS laptop users out there?

ASUS customer assistance is not assistance in the real sense of the word.
turbo
Feb23-12, 12:22 PM
PF Gold
Thanks, all. got that sucker open.
jedishrfu
Feb23-12, 12:28 PM
you might try the magnet running it across either edge to see if its attracted to an inside magnet and maybe it will dislodge it enough to open.

You could also try different orientations like holding it upside down or on its side to see if the relieves the latch pressure. Apple laptops used to use magnetic latches that would get stuck. Some solutions were suggested here:

https://getsatisfaction.com/apple/to...my_macbook_pro

beyond that I have no idea. I couldn't see from the online pictures of your model how the mag latch worked. Good luck.
turbo
Feb23-12, 12:35 PM
PF Gold
Thanks again. I don't think it was a magnetic latch - just really tight hinges, and I didn't want to pry hard enough to crack the screen.
turbo
Feb23-12, 12:54 PM
PF Gold
BTW, maybe I just got lucky, but the customer-service rep that I got could actually speak understandable English. I haven't had that good fortune with Dell reps.
turbo
Feb23-12, 01:12 PM
PF Gold
After opening and closing the lid a few times, things seem OK. Just too new, too tight, I guess. I hate risking damage to new gear by using brute force.
jedishrfu
Feb23-12, 01:15 PM
maybe you need to oil it or use wd40.
turbo
Feb23-12, 01:18 PM
PF Gold
It seems OK now, after opening and closing it a few times. I just didn't want to exert too much force and crack the screen. It's surprising how tight plastic hinges can be.
Greg Bernhardt
Feb23-12, 01:22 PM
Admin
P: 8,542
Quote Quote by turbo View Post
It seems OK now, after opening and closing it a few times. I just didn't want to exert too much force and crack the screen. It's surprising how tight plastic hinges can be.
Yeah it just needs to be "broken in" :)
turbo
Feb23-12, 01:25 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Greg Bernhardt View Post
Yeah it just needs to be "broken in" :)
I just didn't want to "break" anything in the process. That sucker was tight, and I didn't want to pull hard enough to crack that screen.
turbo
Feb23-12, 01:26 PM
PF Gold
It's OK now.
turbo
Feb23-12, 01:27 PM
PF Gold
My wife calls it "her" computer, but she demanded that I buy it when the yearly bonuses were announced, so I could still have a PC when the power goes out here (often).
Borek
Feb23-12, 01:45 PM
Admin
P: 22,703
It is always tight the first time.

These days it goes smoothly.

Model UL80VT.
rhody
Feb24-12, 08:22 AM
PF Gold
P: 765
Turbo,

My ASUS Laptop is two years old, and the top with the screen still opens stiff, I am kind of glad it does. It has been reliable as a rock, nothing spilled on the keyboard, etc... One thing you may want to do is go into config.sys from the run menu and turn off a bunch of preinstalled ASUS crap they send with it, I only have about five startup programs in the list, same for servies as well, that can get tricky because of one or more services can depend on others and no hierarchy tree exists to tell you what is what. I have that trimmed to the low 40 count as well, once that is done it should boot and run in 30 - 40 seconds. Good luck.

Rhody...

Register to reply