Research vs Tech Startup vs Google Intern

by laxatives
Tags: google, intern, research, startup, tech
laxatives
Feb24-12, 02:58 PM
P: 5
So I've been in the processing of interviewing with a bunch of different places for summer internships, but it seems like this whole process is about to get wrapped up in the next few days. The catalyst: I got an offer from SLAC for DOEs SULI program. Needless to say, I'm very excited. However, I'm not sure how I feel about continuing with research/physics in general. In fact, just a few months ago, I posted a long whiny rant on PF about how garbagety I'm doing what I'm going to end up doing.

Things turned up pretty quickly I guess. However I'm still not sure whether I can pursue a graduate degree; I'm held back by a very low gpa (lets say around 3.00) and a good amount of apathy. I think I might like to go to a tech startup/google for the summer and give that a whirl before I make a decision like grad school/industry next year.

I'm in the process of getting placed at Google. I would love to work on computer vision at Santa Monica and was hoping I could leverage this offer at Stanford to make me somehow more competitive. However I think that plan might have backfired, since I haven't heard back in several days and my offer/decline deadline is coming up in about a week. I'm also interviewing with several startups and have (hopefully) the final round of interviews over the next few days. My dream would be to do both a startup and SLAC in Palo Alto/Menlo Park, but the one startup I mentioned the idea to wasn't enthusaistic.

All that being said, I've always felt it would be much easier moving from academia/research into industry than the other way around and part of me feels like I should ride out this physics thing for as long as I can. So I'm basically looking for some input on what I should consider and your experiences with mobility between different fields. Is an advanced degree critical once you're older and have climbed ladders? Other thoughts?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Lemurs match scent of a friend to sound of her voice
Repeated self-healing now possible in composite materials
'Heartbleed' fix may slow Web performance
jk
Feb24-12, 05:09 PM
P: 141
An advanced technical degree is not critical in industry once you've climbed up the ladder..by that time you'll mostly be doing managerial stuff anyway
daveyinaz
Feb24-12, 06:19 PM
P: 225
If you got apathy towards physics or whatever, then go in the other direction. Schools ain't going nowhere.

Register to reply