Give up on trying to find a programming job?

In summary: I don't see what the big deal is about posting on job boards.In summary, my friends who graduated college and got jobs at Amazon, Microsoft, Facebook or Google did so by getting job offers after interning for a year or 2. However, I am having trouble. My friends who graduated college and were able to get jobs at those places did so by getting job offers after interning for a year or 2. My interview process with Big Company X ended on more polite terms, but of course they didn't tell me exactly what I did wrong on their questions (due to discrimination concerns, you never get any feedback these days) and now I can't apply there for another 6 months. Boo-hoo. I looked
Jamin2112
I live in Seattle, so my opportunities are better than most people. Still I'm having trouble. My friends who graduated college and were able to get jobs at Amazon, Microsoft, Facebook or Google did so by getting job offers after interning for a year or 2.

I have scored two different interviews at big companies like that, one at Big Company X and the other at Big Company Y. Those were encouraging because I know that it is possible to get an entry-level programming position if you're good with math, algorithms, data structures, and basically just the fundamentals. I've realized it's very competitive, though.

I posted here about my nightmare interview with Big Company Y, in which the guy ended the interview early after being extremely condescending in response to me not knowing the fanciest way to find the median of two sorted arrays. My interview process with Big Company X ended on more polite terms, but of course they didn't tell me exactly what I did wrong on their questions (due to discrimination concerns, you never get any feedback these days) and now I can't apply there for another 6 months. Boo-hoo. I looked at GlassDoor.com through the software engineer interview stories at these places and I see it can be a very long and daunting process, with a lot of people only scratching the surface like I did, or getting further and then being shot down at the final step.

The other options for programming positions are either software startups or some consulting construct. These are a lot more difficult to get as they usually require mountains of experience.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you using the job boards to get recruiters to come to you or are just looking for work on your own?

Are you applying to some of the smaller companies too? Clearly a company like Google can afford to nit pick and turn away qualified applicants for small reasons. A smaller company might be more forgiving.

Applying only to places like Google/Amazon/Apple etc. is like only applying to MIT/Harvard etc. for grad school. They're certainly places we all want to end up, but we can't all end up there. If you think it's not worth being a software engineer if you can't work at those places, that's fine. But it's not a reason to "give up on trying to find a programming job".

phinds said:
Are you using the job boards to get recruiters to come to you or are just looking for work on your own?

My interview process with Big Company X was started after I saw a listing on Indeed and then applied on their company website. With Big Company Y, I applied through LinkedIn and was messaged by the recruiter shortly thereafter.

DimReg said:
Are you applying to some of the smaller companies too? Clearly a company like Google can afford to nit pick and turn away qualified applicants for small reasons. A smaller company might be more forgiving.

The smaller companies, I've found, are actually more particular about what they're looking for in terms of experience. Unlike Google, they can't afford to hold these massive onsite interview sessions where they fly 500 candidates in from across the country and try to weed out everyone besides a few of the brightest who they want working on their new project. So I've found that the smaller companies are usually advertising positions for which they want 5+ years professional experience. Whereas the big companies hold these tryout sessions like the two ones I failed.

Jamin2112 said:
My interview process with Big Company X was started after I saw a listing on Indeed and then applied on their company website. With Big Company Y, I applied through LinkedIn and was messaged by the recruiter shortly thereafter.

In other words, no, you are not using the job boards.

Unimaginable to me that anyone could be looking for work in hi tech and not using the job boards.

You should post your resume on all of the major job boards and update it (just to get the time stamp updated) at least once a week. When I'm looking, I update mine every day.

Here's a listing of the major ones:

DICE
Monster
Net Temps
Job Circle
6figurejobs
CareerBuilder
Jobserve
jobguru
bestjobsusa

Jamin2112 said:
The smaller companies, I've found, are actually more particular about what they're looking for in terms of experience. Unlike Google, they can't afford to hold these massive onsite interview sessions where they fly 500 candidates in from across the country and try to weed out everyone besides a few of the brightest who they want working on their new project. So I've found that the smaller companies are usually advertising positions for which they want 5+ years professional experience. Whereas the big companies hold these tryout sessions like the two ones I failed.

Yes I've seen that, but it seems to be just common sense that the typical software engineer doesn't get into the industry by working at a company like Google. There are plenty of big companies that aren't tech companies but need programmers. They can certainly afford to fly you out for an interview, and presumably they don't automatically get that same flood of recent college grads hoping to get their first job.

Of course, I could be completely wrong, I am roughly in the same position as you.

DimReg said:
I am roughly in the same position as you.

We're going to make it, brah

What does it mean to give up on trying to find a programming job?

Giving up on trying to find a programming job means that you have stopped actively searching for employment in the field of programming. This could be due to a variety of reasons, such as lack of success in finding a job, feeling discouraged or burnt out, or deciding to pursue a different career path.

Why would someone give up on trying to find a programming job?

There are various reasons why someone might give up on trying to find a programming job. Some of the common reasons could include not being able to secure a job after multiple attempts, facing rejection or lack of response from potential employers, or realizing that programming is not the right career path for them.

Is it a common occurrence for people to give up on trying to find a programming job?

It is not uncommon for people to give up on trying to find a programming job. The job market for programmers can be highly competitive and demanding, and not everyone is able to secure a job in this field. Additionally, some individuals may also choose to give up on finding a programming job for personal reasons or to pursue other opportunities.

What can one do if they have given up on trying to find a programming job?

If you have given up on trying to find a programming job, there are a few things you can do. You can take a break and focus on developing your skills further, network with other professionals in the field, consider pursuing a different career path, or seek guidance from a career counselor or mentor to explore other job opportunities.

Is it possible to succeed in finding a programming job after giving up on trying?

Yes, it is possible to succeed in finding a programming job even after giving up on trying. Taking a break and refocusing on your skills and goals can help you approach the job search process with a fresh perspective. Additionally, networking and seeking guidance can also provide valuable insights and connections that could lead to job opportunities in the future.