Register to reply

As for the three body problem (the formula used, and the related areas)

by julypraise
Tags: areas, body, formula
Share this thread:
julypraise
Feb25-12, 07:58 AM
P: 110
Could you let me know which formula is Newton's Gravitation Law used for the three body or n body problem in general?

Suppose there are [itex]n[/itex] objects with the masses [itex]m_{j}[/itex], [itex]j=1,2,3,\dots,n[/itex] and the displacement functions [itex]\mathbf{x}_{j}:\mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R}^{3}[/itex] with initial conditions of [itex]\mathbf{x}_{j}(0),\dot{\mathbf{x}}_{j}(0)[/itex]. Then is the formula

(1) [itex]m_{j}\ddot{\mathbf{x}}_{j}=G\sum_{i\neq j}\frac{m_{i}m_{j}(\mathbf{x}_{i}-\mathbf{x}_{j})}{\left|\mathbf{x}_{i}-\mathbf{x}_{j}\right|^{3}}[/itex]

used, or

(2) [itex]m_{j}\ddot{\mathbf{x}}_{j}=G\sum_{i\neq j}\frac{m_{i}m_{j}}{\left|\mathbf{x}_{i}-\mathbf{x}_{j}\right|^{2}}[/itex]

used?

If the trend is to use (1), then why is it? And what is the trend in defining the formula of Newton's Gravitation Law when [itex]\left|\mathbf{x}_{i}-\mathbf{x}_{j}\right|=0[/itex]?

And is there any textbook (kind graduate or undergraudate textbook level) that teaches this area not by analytical method but by algebraic method, especially focusing on the concept of symmetries? Or should I just find papers to study this area in such a view?

And could you let me know the (mathematical) areas (specifically the names of the areas) that are closely related to this problem?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
UCI team is first to capture motion of single molecule in real time
And so they beat on, flagella against the cantilever
Tandem microwave destroys hazmat, disinfects
DrStupid
Feb25-12, 11:48 AM
P: 482
(2) is limited to one-dimensional cases and for [itex]\left|\mathbf{x}_{i}-\mathbf{x}_{j}\right|=0[/itex] there is no force
Hassan2
Feb25-12, 12:03 PM
P: 409
Quote Quote by julypraise View Post
Could you let me know which formula is Newton's Gravitation Law used for the three body or n body problem in general?

Suppose there are [itex]n[/itex] objects with the masses [itex]m_{j}[/itex], [itex]j=1,2,3,\dots,n[/itex] and the displacement functions [itex]\mathbf{x}_{j}:\mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R}^{3}[/itex] with initial conditions of [itex]\mathbf{x}_{j}(0),\dot{\mathbf{x}}_{j}(0)[/itex]. Then is the formula

(1) [itex]m_{j}\ddot{\mathbf{x}}_{j}=G\sum_{i\neq j}\frac{m_{i}m_{j}(\mathbf{x}_{i}-\mathbf{x}_{j})}{\left|\mathbf{x}_{i}-\mathbf{x}_{j}\right|^{3}}[/itex]

used, or

(2) [itex]m_{j}\ddot{\mathbf{x}}_{j}=G\sum_{i\neq j}\frac{m_{i}m_{j}}{\left|\mathbf{x}_{i}-\mathbf{x}_{j}\right|^{2}}[/itex]

used?

If the trend is to use (1), then why is it? And what is the trend in defining the formula of Newton's Gravitation Law when [itex]\left|\mathbf{x}_{i}-\mathbf{x}_{j}\right|=0[/itex]?

And is there any textbook (kind graduate or undergraudate textbook level) that teaches this area not by analytical method but by algebraic method, especially focusing on the concept of symmetries? Or should I just find papers to study this area in such a view?

And could you let me know the (mathematical) areas (specifically the names of the areas) that are closely related to this problem?
in formula 2, something is missing ( a unit vector along xi-xj) because the summation must be a vector. If you correct it, both formulae become the same becaues the unit vector = (xi-xj)/|xi-xj|

Register to reply