Dissipation function is homogeneous in ##\dot{q}## second degree proof

In summary, the dissipation function, defined as$$\mathcal{F} = \frac{1}{2} \sum_i \vec{v}_i^{\text{T}} \hat{K} \vec{v}_i,$$where ##\vec{v}_i## is the velocity of particle i and ##\hat{K}## is a diagonal matrix with coefficients ##k_x, k_y, k_z##, is shown to be a homogeneous function of degree 2 in the generalized velocities ##\dot{q}##. This is proved by noting that the transformation equations to generalized coordinates do not depend on ##\dot{q}## and thus the dissipation function remains unchanged when the generalized
Kashmir
We have Rayleigh's dissipation function, defined as
##
\mathcal{F}=\frac{1}{2} \sum_{i}\left(k_{x} v_{i x}^{2}+k_{y} v_{i j}^{2}+k_{z} v_{i z}^{2}\right)
##

Also we have transformation equations to generalized coordinates as
##\begin{aligned} \mathbf{r}_{1} &=\mathbf{r}_{1}\left(q_{1}, q_{2}, \ldots, q_{3 N-k}, t\right) \\ & \vdots \\ \mathbf{r}_{N} &=\mathbf{r}_{N}\left(q_{1}, q_{2}, \ldots, q_{3 N-k}, t\right) \end{aligned}##

How can I prove that the dissipation function is homogeneous of degree 2 in ##\dot{q}##?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have ##\vec{v}_i=\dot{\vec{r}}_i=\dot{q}^j \partial_j \vec{r}_i## and thus
$$\mathcal{F}=\frac{1}{2} \sum_i \dot{q}^j \dot{q}^k (\partial_j \vec{r}_i) \cdot (\partial_k \vec{r}_i).$$
Sinc the ##\vec{r}_i## are functions of the ##q^j## and ##t## but not of ##\dot{q}^j## by assumption you have
$$\mathcal{F}(q,\lambda \dot{q},t)=\lambda^2 \mathcal{F}(q,\dot{q},t).$$
QED.

vanhees71 said:
You have ##\vec{v}_i=\dot{\vec{r}}_i=\dot{q}^j \partial_j \vec{r}_i## and thus
$$\mathcal{F}=\frac{1}{2} \sum_i \dot{q}^j \dot{q}^k (\partial_j \vec{r}_i) \cdot (\partial_k \vec{r}_i).$$
Sinc the ##\vec{r}_i## are functions of the ##q^j## and ##t## but not of ##\dot{q}^j## by assumption you have
$$\mathcal{F}(q,\lambda \dot{q},t)=\lambda^2 \mathcal{F}(q,\dot{q},t).$$
QED.
Thank you. Why not a partial with time term in ##\vec{v}_i=\dot{\vec{r}}_i=\dot{q}^j \partial_j \vec{r}_i## also where did the kx, ky, kz term go?

Likes vanhees71
Kashmir said:
How can I prove that the dissipation function is homogeneous of degree 2 in ?
if ##\boldsymbol r_i## depends on t explicitly then it is not so

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71 and Kashmir
Indeed, I've overlooked this and also forgot the coefficients. So we must have
$$\vec{r}_i=\vec{r}_i(q)$$
and thus
$$\dot{\vec{r}_i}=\dot{q}^j \partial_{j} \vec{r}_i(q)$$
and
$$\mathcal{F}=\frac{1}{2} \sum_i \vec{v}_i^{\text{T}} \hat{K} \vec{v}_i = \frac{1}{2} \dot{q}^j \dot{q}^k g_{jk}$$
with
$$g_{jk} = \sum_i (\partial_j \vec{r}_i)^{\text{T}} \hat{K} \partial_k \vec{r}_i.$$
Now indeed ##g_{jk}## is a function of the ##q## only and don't depend on ##\dot{q}##, and thus indeed ##\mathcal{F}## is a homogeneous function of degree 2 in the generalized velocities ##\dot{q}##.

Likes Kashmir
wrobel said:
if ##\boldsymbol r_i## depends on t explicitly then it is not so
Yes, thank you. :)

vanhees71 said:
Indeed, I've overlooked this and also forgot the coefficients. So we must have
$$\vec{r}_i=\vec{r}_i(q)$$
and thus
$$\dot{\vec{r}_i}=\dot{q}^j \partial_{j} \vec{r}_i(q)$$
and
$$\mathcal{F}=\frac{1}{2} \sum_i \vec{v}_i^{\text{T}} \hat{K} \vec{v}_i = \frac{1}{2} \dot{q}^j \dot{q}^k g_{jk}$$
with
$$g_{jk} = \sum_i (\partial_j \vec{r}_i)^{\text{T}} \hat{K} \partial_k \vec{r}_i.$$
Now indeed ##g_{jk}## is a function of the ##q## only and don't depend on ##\dot{q}##, and thus indeed ##\mathcal{F}## is a homogeneous function of degree 2 in the generalized velocities ##\dot{q}##.
Got it. Thank you very much. :)

Likes vanhees71

1. What is a dissipation function?

A dissipation function is a mathematical concept used to describe the rate at which energy is lost or dissipated in a physical system. It is typically denoted by Φ and is a function of the system's state variables, such as position, velocity, and time.

2. What does it mean for a dissipation function to be homogeneous in ##\dot{q}## second degree?

A dissipation function is said to be homogeneous in ##\dot{q}## second degree if it is a function of the system's velocity variables (represented by ##\dot{q}##) raised to the second power. This means that the dissipation function is proportional to the square of the system's velocity and is independent of the system's position or time.

3. Why is it important for a dissipation function to be homogeneous in ##\dot{q}## second degree?

Homogeneity in ##\dot{q}## second degree is important because it allows for the use of the principle of virtual work in the analysis of a system's energy dissipation. This principle states that the work done by the dissipative forces in a system is equal to the change in the dissipation function, which can be easily calculated if the function is homogeneous in ##\dot{q}## second degree.

4. How is the homogeneity of a dissipation function proven?

The homogeneity of a dissipation function can be proven mathematically by showing that it satisfies the condition Φ(λ##\dot{q}##) = λ²Φ(##\dot{q}##), where λ is a constant. This can be done by substituting λ##\dot{q}## for ##\dot{q}## in the dissipation function and simplifying the resulting expression.

5. Can a dissipation function be homogeneous in other degrees besides ##\dot{q}## second degree?

Yes, a dissipation function can be homogeneous in other degrees besides ##\dot{q}## second degree. For example, a function that is homogeneous in ##\dot{q}## third degree would be proportional to the cube of the system's velocity. However, the use of ##\dot{q}## second degree homogeneity is most common and useful in the analysis of energy dissipation in physical systems.