Register to reply

Density vs. Mass

by Notwen7
Tags: density, mass
Share this thread:
Notwen7
Feb25-12, 05:15 PM
P: 11
Does lower density usually mean the material is lighter? I went through high school believing that an object with a larger molar mass is a larger object. However, doesn't a larger density mean that material in use is heavier since it have a more compact lattice structure?
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
New molecule puts scientists a step closer to understanding hydrogen storage
Chemists develop new formulation for the generation of green flames
Four billion-year-old chemistry in cells today
phyzguy
Feb25-12, 06:54 PM
P: 2,179
Which is heavier, a penny (density = 9 g/cm^3) or a tank truck full of water (density = 1 g/cm^3)? Mass = density * volume, so the mass depends on the density and the size.
Notwen7
Feb25-12, 07:02 PM
P: 11
Sorry I should have been more clear. If you have two different chemicals in the same volume with different densities then the one with the highest density will be heavier.

Thank you for your help.

Jorriss
Feb25-12, 07:17 PM
P: 1,042
Density vs. Mass

Quote Quote by Notwen7 View Post
Sorry I should have been more clear. If you have two different chemicals in the same volume with different densities then the one with the highest density will be heavier.
Yes. Mass and weight are proportional to one another. If two objects are in basically the same location ie on earth, then whichever has the larger mass has a higher weight.

Register to reply