Register to reply

Can one get rabies from eating bitten tomatoes?

by causalset
Tags: bitten, eating, rabies, tomatoes
Share this thread:
causalset
Feb24-12, 02:11 PM
P: 85
I was eating a tomatoe and I discovered on it something of a form of a bite. Now I am not entirely sure whether it is from a dog; it could have been insects. But I guess it is weird that the line goes inside of the domatoe deeper than it usually does (it is 3 sentimeters length, 3 millimeters wide and 3 millimeters deep). Is it possible it that rabid dog bit that tomatoe? If so, would I get rabies by eating it? In other words, should i go to the doctor to check myself out and/or bring the half eaten tomatoe, or should I just assume I will be okay?
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
Doctors urge meningitis shots for vulnerable infants, children
Preemies may have higher risk of blood clots, even as adults
Tonsillectomy for sleep apnea may trigger weight gain
Moonbear
Feb24-12, 09:30 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,271
Rabies is transmitted via saliva, so it's possible to get it that way. But, before you panic, the size of the hole you described doesn't sound much like a bite. You can get cracks that size in tomatoes simply from inconsistent watering. And, unless you've actually had rabid animals in your yard, eating your tomatoes (you'd recognize the odd behavior), there's likely nothing to worry about.
256bits
Feb27-12, 07:41 AM
P: 1,418
You most definetely have a greater chance of choking on that tomato and dying than getting rabies from a tomato that has a split in the skin. Yet illogically you still ate the tomato while overlooking your probability of choking to death.

Register to reply