Confusion about synchronization

by mananvpanchal
Tags: confusion, synchronization
mananvpanchal
Feb27-12, 12:10 PM
P: 215
Hello,

Suppose, in moving train Observer O is at middle point M, and two clocks is situated at A(rear) and B(front). O has a clock.

I have confusion about time of A and B after synchronization.

I have two scenario, please, tell me which one is right.

(1) If we assume that one way speed of light is same for all.
So, there is no problem if frame is moving or not.

Suppose, light signal takes 2 sec to reach at end and 2 sec for coming back. Using the equation [itex]t=t_1+(t_2-t_1)/2[/itex] we can calculate [itex]t=2[/itex]. So we send "2" signal at [itex]t_o=0[/itex].

[itex]t_o=0, t_a=?, t_b=?[/itex]
[itex]t_o=1, t_a=?, t_b=?[/itex]
[itex]t_o=2, t_a=2, t_b=2[/itex]
[itex]t_o=3, t_a=3, t_b=3[/itex]
[itex]t_o=4, t_a=4, t_b=4[/itex]

(2) If we assume that one way speed of light is not same for all, then motion of frame matters. Suppose, light signal takes 1 sec to reach at A and 3 sec for coming back, 3 sec to reach at B and 1 sec for coming back. Using the same equation we can calculate [itex]t=2[/itex]. So we send "2" signal at [itex]t_o=0[/itex].

[itex]t_o=0, t_a=?, t_b=?[/itex]
[itex]t_o=1, t_a=2, t_b=?[/itex]
[itex]t_o=2, t_a=3, t_b=?[/itex]
[itex]t_o=3, t_a=4, t_b=2[/itex]
[itex]t_o=4, t_a=5, t_b=3[/itex]

Please, tell me which is right. If both wrong then please tell me how to synchronize clocks in moving frame.

Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Lemurs match scent of a friend to sound of her voice
Repeated self-healing now possible in composite materials
'Heartbleed' fix may slow Web performance
zonde
Feb27-12, 11:29 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,376
Quote Quote by mananvpanchal View Post
Please, tell me which is right. If both wrong then please tell me how to synchronize clocks in moving frame.
Both are right. You just have one more simultaneity "plane" in addition to simultaneity of train clocks and it is different in cases (1) and (2). In case (1) this simultaneity "plane" is the same as for train clocks. In case (2) this simultaneity "plane" is skewed in respect to train clocks.

Basically it looks like you are asking how to determine preferred frame. But relativity does not provide any means how to do that. So either you assume it in arbitrary fashion or do without it.

And maybe this can help Relativity of simultaneity
mananvpanchal
Feb27-12, 11:34 PM
P: 215
Quote Quote by zonde View Post
Both are right. You just have one more simultaneity "plane" in addition to simultaneity of train clocks and it is different in cases (1) and (2). In case (1) this simultaneity "plane" is the same as for train clocks. In case (2) this simultaneity "plane" is skewed in respect to train clocks.

Basically it looks like you are asking how to determine preferred frame. But relativity does not provide any means how to do that. So either you assume it in arbitrary fashion or do without it.

And maybe this can help Relativity of simultaneity
Thanks for reply

Yes, I was confused that which synchronization is right for train frame.

Register to reply