Time taken for pressure to equalise?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the time taken for pressure to equalize in a hemisphere dome after puncturing a hole on the flat side. The process is non-linear and the air is not incompressible. Bernoulli's equation can be used in its differential form, along with the ideal gas law and the rate of change of mass. Assumptions must be made, such as ignoring gravity effects, in order to solve the problem using these equations.
serverxeon
I have a hemisphere dome, which volume = [itex]\frac{2}{3}[/itex]∏r3
Inside the dome, pressure is 1atm (assume 1.05 kPa)
Outside the dome, pressure is 0.01atm (10.5 Pa)
I then puncture a 0.2 cm2 (2 x 10-5 m2) hole on the flat side of the dome.

Question: Find time taken for pressure to equalise.

--------------

I have searched up the internet, and seems that I have to use bernoulli. But I have a few problems.
8fe8d95e8b31880e495d141a3256e3db.png

1) I have no idea what to substitute for the variables.
2) Are the density of air inside and outside the dome different?
3) How should I use calculus (or differential equations, or anything else) to find the time taken, given the process is non-linear in relation.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you can use Bernoulli's equation to solve, as most requirements are not met (dm/dt is not constant, air is not incompressible. You may use its differential form, though:

[tex]\frac{dp}{\rho} + d(\frac{v^2}{2}) + g dz = 0[/tex]

Now you'll have to make a few hypothesis, such as the processes is not turbulent (which it is, however, though it would be almost impossible to accurately describe this phenomenon without this consideration, so your answer will be physically wrong), the air is an ideal gas (or find a good equation of state, though ideal gas law is good).

The specific mass of air in both situations are different, but remember that they must equal when in equilibrium.

The differential equation you will have to solve will be a combination of that differential form of Bernoulli's law and the fact that

[tex]\frac{dm}{dt} = V \frac{d\rho}{dt} = Av[/tex]

Interesting problem, by the way.

Thanks for the reply,

But I'll like to clarify, how is rate of change of mass = area * velocity?
[tex]\frac{dm}{dt} = V \frac{d\rho}{dt} = Av[/tex]

I'm sorry, that's wrong of course, must've been my distraction. It should be

[tex]\frac{dm}{dt} = V\frac{d\rho}{dt} = \rho A v[/tex]

thanks pal,

but I am looking at the equations, and am thinking...
Pressure will change as the process equalise, and density will change as pressure change, so mass in the dome will change too. At the same time velocity changes too... So I have multiple interrelated quantities.. and er...

Can someone please guide me on how should I start?
I'm like just stuck!

Last edited:
Yes, everything changes and that's why you use a differential equation to solve this problem.

You will have to work with three equations:

1) Differential form of Bernoulli's
2) Rate of change of mass
3) Ideal gas law

Can you find a equation for velocity using 1) and 3)? Tip: make a few assumptions, one of them is to ignore gravity effects (the dome is too small).

1. What is the concept of pressure equalisation?

The concept of pressure equalisation refers to the process of balancing the pressure between two different areas or systems. This can occur naturally or through the use of pressure-regulating devices.

2. How long does it take for pressure to equalise?

The time it takes for pressure to equalise can vary depending on the specific circumstances. It can range from a few seconds to several minutes, and even longer in some cases.

3. What factors affect the time taken for pressure to equalise?

The time taken for pressure to equalise can be affected by various factors, such as the size of the pressure differential, the material and thickness of the barrier between the two areas, and the presence of any pressure-regulating mechanisms.

4. How can pressure equalisation be measured?

Pressure equalisation can be measured using devices such as pressure gauges or manometers, which can provide a reading of the pressure in a given area or system. This can help determine the effectiveness and speed of pressure equalisation.

5. Why is it important to consider the time taken for pressure to equalise?

The time taken for pressure to equalise is important because it can affect the safety and functionality of various systems and processes. In some cases, a quick equalisation of pressure may be necessary to prevent damage or accidents, while in others, a slower equalisation may be desired for better control and stability.