Why aren't the coils in electric motors insulated?

by Xyius
Tags: coils, electric, insulated, motors
Xyius
Feb29-12, 07:56 PM
P: 431
In all the electric motors I have taken apart, the coils on the armature have never been insulated. This has always confused me because, how could the coil make a sufficient magnetic field if it shorts out to the adjacent wires from lack of insulation?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Sensitive detection method may help impede illicit nuclear trafficking
CERN: World-record current in a superconductor
Beam on target: CEBAF accelerator achieves 12 GeV commissioning milestone
DaveC426913
Feb29-12, 08:18 PM
P: 15,325
Are you sure they're not coated in a thin layer of clear sheathing?
Xyius
Feb29-12, 08:19 PM
Quote Quote by DaveC426913 View Post
Are you sure they're not coated in a thin layer of clear sheathing?
I have suspected that but I do not know for sure. I was wondering if anyone else could confirm. :]

Hassan2
Feb29-12, 08:46 PM
P: 404

Why aren't the coils in electric motors insulated?

They are insulated with a think transparent layer of insulator.
TurtleMeister
Feb29-12, 09:02 PM
P: 734
Quote Quote by Hassan2 View Post
They are insulated with a think transparent layer of insulator.
No, I don't think it's transparent.

Magnet wire is coated with a thin layer of enamel. The color is usually gold, making it appear similar to bare copper. It also comes in other colors, such as red and green.
Xyius
Feb29-12, 09:14 PM
Cool thanks guys!
Hassan2
Feb29-12, 09:21 PM
P: 404
Quote Quote by TurtleMeister View Post
No, I don't think it's transparent.

Magnet wire is coated with a thin layer of enamel. The color is usually gold, making it appear similar to bare copper. It also comes in other colors, such as red and green.
Thanks a lot. Do you know how to remove the insulation before soldering? Or is it removed by the heat while soldering? I usually use flame to remove the insulation first. Sometimes just scratching them by a knife! I wonder if there was a more efficient way.
DaveC426913
Feb29-12, 09:24 PM
Thanks a lot. Do you know how to remove the insulation before soldering? Or is it removed by the heat while soldering? I usually use flame to remove the insulation first. Sometimes just scratching them by a knife! I wonder if there was a more efficient way.
Wire strippers are the correct way.
TurtleMeister
Feb29-12, 09:40 PM
P: 734
Yes, there is a more efficient way. You can buy a machine that is designed for removing the insulation. However, the price is probably too high for the hobbyest. I used such a machine many years ago when I worked for a motor manufacturer. At home I usually just lay it on a flat hard surface and scrape it with a sharp knife. I've never had much luck with using wire strippers on magnet wire.
Pengwuino
Feb29-12, 09:41 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,125
Quote Quote by DaveC426913 View Post
Wire strippers are the correct way.
How do you use wire strippers to take off such a thing layer?
DaveC426913
Feb29-12, 09:45 PM
Quote Quote by Pengwuino View Post
How do you use wire strippers to take off such a thing layer?
Mm. Good point. It's not designed to be stripped like regular electrical wire, is it? It won't just slide off.
AlephZero
Feb29-12, 11:27 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 6,340
Modern "enamelled" wire usually has a plastic coating that will burn off cleanly during soldering. The wire in old motors etc uses "real" enamel which needs to be scraped off with a knife blade or fine sandpaper.

There are electrically powered tools available to do this on an "industrial" scale.
Delta Kilo
Mar1-12, 07:35 AM
P: 269
Apparently some types of enamel could be stripped by placing the wire on aspirin tablet and heating with a soldering iron (or so the urban legend says). Never tried it myself though.

Register to reply