Motor drive a coil in a magnetic field to power itself?

In summary, a motor drive uses a coil within a magnetic field to generate power and move its parts. As the magnetic field interacts with the coil, it creates a force that causes the coil to rotate, which in turn powers the motor and allows it to function. This process is known as electromagnetic induction and is the fundamental principle behind the operation of electric motors. By utilizing this technology, motor drives are able to efficiently convert electrical energy into mechanical energy, making them essential components in a wide range of devices and machinery.
noxidINF
Hello Friends,
I have been wondering, is it possible to construct a motor, and attach a coil to it, such that with the motion due to the rotation of the motor, it generates a excess of energy that can be used to power the motor in turn, basically, could i use the excess to charge a battery that then is used to turn the motor. Short of doing the calculations i am honestly not sure.

Attachments

• motor.PNG
    motor.PNG
    92.8 KB · Views: 280
Physics news on Phys.org
No. Perpetual motion machines are impossible and discussion is forbidden at PF because it's a waste of time.

Likes russ_watters
Ibix said:
No. Perpetual motion machines are impossible and discussion is forbidden at PF because it's a waste of time.
This was not intended to be a perpetual motion device, if this breaks any laws of physics, please help me understand. What I am trying of to clarify on a more fundamental level, is if a smaller energy can be used in a process that collects larger amounts of energy, not create.

noxidINF said:
This was not intended to be a perpetual motion device, if this breaks any laws of physics, please help me understand. What I am trying of to clarify on a more fundamental level, is if a smaller energy can be used in a process that collects larger amounts of energy, not create.
Collect from where? If you add a mystic energy source to your experiment, then it will be the same as maintaining the motor with it.

Every transformation from one form of energy to another causes losses, e.g. in terms of heat or radiation. So there is no way to do what you proposed. That is why this topic is excluded by our rules. It's simply not possible.

Thread closed.

noxidINF said:
if this breaks any laws of physics, please help me understand.
As part of closing this thread, here are some links from the PF rules (see INFO at the top of the page) about forbidden topics here. Follow those links to do some reading about why what you are asking about cannot work. :smile:

PF Forbidden Topics said:
Pseudoscience, such as (but not limited to):

Perpetual motion and "free energy" discussions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_motion
http://www.skepdic.com/freeenergy.html
http://www.skepdic.com/perpetual.html

Likes vanhees71 and Ibix

1. How does a motor drive a coil in a magnetic field to power itself?

A motor drives a coil in a magnetic field by using the principles of electromagnetism. When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a magnetic field around the wire. By placing a coil of wire in a magnetic field and passing an electric current through it, the coil will experience a force that causes it to rotate. This rotation can then be used to power the motor.

2. What is the purpose of the magnetic field in a motor?

The magnetic field in a motor is essential for its function. It is used to create a force on the coil of wire, causing it to rotate and power the motor. Without a magnetic field, the motor would not be able to function.

3. How does the direction of the current affect the rotation of the coil in a motor?

The direction of the current flowing through the coil in a motor determines the direction of the magnetic field it creates. This, in turn, determines the direction of the force on the coil and the direction of its rotation. Reversing the direction of the current will also reverse the direction of rotation.

4. Can a motor drive a coil in a magnetic field without an external power source?

No, a motor cannot drive a coil in a magnetic field without an external power source. The motor itself requires electricity to function, and without it, there is no way to create the necessary magnetic field and force to power the motor.

5. What are some common applications of a motor driving a coil in a magnetic field to power itself?

Motors driving coils in magnetic fields are used in a variety of everyday devices, such as electric fans, blenders, and washing machines. They are also used in more complex machinery, such as cars, trains, and industrial equipment. Additionally, this principle is used in generators to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy.