by Pythagorean
Tags: dynamical, neuroscience
Share this thread:
rhody
Jan2-12, 07:14 PM
PF Gold
P: 765
atty,

Thanks for The Science Network link, circa 2009. Churchland's talk was interesting as was the follow on speaker's. A whole new sandbox of characters to consider, I loved the hosts comment's at one point during question and answer, "Another addition to our mound of bafflement's". Pretty much sums up my thoughts. I did learn one thing, the thought process into what attributes that collectively contribute to what we recognize as "consciousness" is farther outside of the box by these researcher's than I ever imagined.

Example, a certain species of fly sleeps, and has been shown to twitch it's lower legs during sleep. The implication here is that REM sleep is necessary for consciousness and that this species of fly shares that with human's. Suggesting that REM sleep and insect leg twitching are somehow related. I would say that is outside the box, wouldn't you ?

Rhody...
atyy
Jan2-12, 08:29 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 8,658
rhody, my own view is that consciousness is essentially solved - I'll buy the Damasio, and Holland and Goodman approach. Maybe high tc superconductivity is more mysterious.

I would like to know how I am a strange loop fits in though. It seems closely related, but I am not sure whether inifinity is needed - perhaps as some sort of limit, analogous to phase transitions in which the thermodynamic limit exists in theory, but not exactly in real life - or the reflections in a pair of mirrors where true infinity is spoilt by atomic structure.
Pythagorean
Feb4-12, 02:46 AM
PF Gold
P: 4,287
A Good Grounding paper:

The Complex Systems Approach: Rhetoric or Revolution
Chris Eliasmith
Department of Philosophy, University of Waterloo
Received 4 February 2011; accepted 14 February 2011

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...11.01169.x/pdf

Quote Quote by atyy View Post
rhody, my own view is that consciousness is essentially solved - I'll buy the Damasio, and Holland and Goodman approach.
Would you mind posting some references and your own summary of the solution? Due next Friday. : )
rhody
Feb4-12, 09:14 AM
PF Gold
P: 765
Quote Quote by Pythagorean View Post
Would you mind posting some references and your own summary of the solution? Due next Friday. : )
Cute Pythagorean, I like it.

Rhody...
PPagan
Mar1-12, 09:14 AM
P: 2
Hello All,
I am a newbie here--happened to be passing through and got interested. Apologies in advance if this is not the right venue for this question, but I was struck by the claim that the problem of consciousness is solved. Do you distinguish between the question of how self-representation is achieved by the brain, and the question of how actual conscious experience ("qualia", if you like) arises out of brain function?
Thanks
atyy
Mar1-12, 09:56 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 8,658
Good lord, do people have no sense of humour?
Pythagorean
Mar1-12, 12:44 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by atyy View Post
Good lord, do people have no sense of humour?
You mean that watery fluid in the eye between the lens and the cornea?
Pythagorean
Mar1-12, 12:45 PM
PF Gold
I don't really have a sense for it, but I memorized the humorism table

PPagan
Mar1-12, 02:52 PM
P: 2
OK extremely embarrassed....
Pythagorean
Feb25-14, 06:57 AM
PF Gold
"Is There Chaos in the Brain?", parts I and II:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11558325

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14694754
Pythagorean
Mar16-14, 10:03 AM
PF Gold
Currently, the top featured paper this month for Nature Neuroscience is:

Bump attractor dynamics in prefrontal cortex explains behavioral precision in spatial working memory
http://www.nature.com/neuro/journal/...l/nn.3645.html
AgentSmith
Mar23-14, 08:28 PM
P: 28
Quote Quote by rhody View Post
atty,

Example, a certain species of fly sleeps, and has been shown to twitch it's lower legs during sleep. The implication here is that REM sleep is necessary for consciousness and that this species of fly shares that with human's. Suggesting that REM sleep and insect leg twitching are somehow related. I would say that is outside the box, wouldn't you ?

Rhody...
The implication makes at least two, perhaps three assumptions. Further, the use of the word consciousness in this discussion as if there was only one kind and of one degree is unwarranted.

Register to reply