Register to reply

Evaporation of juice containing carbon

by trenthoskings
Tags: carbon, evaporation, juice
Share this thread:
trenthoskings
Feb27-12, 08:13 AM
P: 2
as a process worker may someone with more technical knowledge answer question below please

1. we have a juice which contains some Carbon.I am finding it harder to evaporate due to the Carbon.Why is juice harder to evaporate with Carbon in it then juice without Carbon?

Cheers

Trent H
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Printing the metals of the future
New gadget helps the vision-impaired to read graphs
3D printing helps designers build a better brick
NascentOxygen
Mar2-12, 03:22 AM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 5,151
Quote Quote by trenthoskings View Post
we have a juice which contains some Carbon.I am finding it harder to evaporate due to the Carbon.Why is juice harder to evaporate with Carbon in it then juice without Carbon?
Hi trenthoskings!

If you are able to give more information, someone might be able to suggest a theory. By "juice" I presume you mean the juice of an edible fruit or vegetable? All such juices contain lots of carbon atoms, along with hydrogen and oxygen and others. I can't imagine that you mean contamination with soot particles, so maybe the lack of responses to your query means that other readers are as mystified as I am.

It sounds an intriguing observation, so can you elaborate?
trenthoskings
Mar18-12, 07:19 PM
P: 2
Hi NascentOxygen

Sorry for late responce.Thanks for your reply

Yes the grape juice had Carbon added to the juice to help remove certain compounds.It was harder to evaporate the juice with the added Carbon then juice without the added Carbon.

The juice was send through a Evaporator using Steam as the heating source.More steam was needed to evaporate the Carbon juice then the non-carbon juice

Thanks

Trent

NascentOxygen
Mar18-12, 07:48 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 5,151
Evaporation of juice containing carbon

Hi trenthoskings. So the carbon was what? Powdered charcoal, or chunks of porous carbon? It was allowed to settle out, was it? Or it came to the surface and was skimmed off?

So we can be sure there was really none of this carbon additive itself in what went to the evaporator?

I'm curious to know why grape juice goes to an evaporator? Is this to make a condensed syrup, or what is the final product?

What unwanted compounds are the carbon removing? Are these compounds recovered for industrial use in another part of the factory?

I'll login and look for your reply in about a month's time?

Register to reply