Pressure in a gas container measured with a barometer and a U pipe

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of gas pressure in a container with a U-shaped pipe attached, using the height of the pillar of mercury in a barometer. The person provides their solution, which results in a pressure of 105398.64 Pa, while the textbook's answer is 100062 Pa. The person questions the accuracy of the textbook and asks for confirmation of their solution. It is also noted that the barometer is not shown in the picture. The conversation concludes with an explanation that the U tube links the outside world with the inside of the container and the effect of changing ambient pressure on the 5 cm measurement.
Callmelucky
Homework Statement
to a container filled with gas, U shaped pipe is attached, as shown in the picture(picture below). What is a gas pressure in the container if the height of the pillar of mercury in barometer is 740 mm?
Relevant Equations
pressure = density * g * height
Can someone please tell me where I am wrong, here goes the question:

to a container filled with gas, U shaped pipe is attached, as shown in the picture(picture below). What is a gas pressure in the container if the height of the pillar of mercury in barometer is 740 mm?

The way I solved it is: pressure of mercury(740mm) + 5 cm difference in U pipe --> 0.740 m * 13600 * 9.81 + 0.05 * 13600 * 9.81 = 105398.64 Pa. But the answer at the and of the textbook is 100 062 Pa.

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_20230205_010729_edit_967933005698658.jpg
    IMG_20230205_010729_edit_967933005698658.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 51
Physics news on Phys.org
Any chance the textbook is wrong ?

I find somewhat different conversion factors, but with three digit accuracy the 105 kPa stands firmly.
mm Hg to Pa
density of Hg

(you can't find a seven digit result from a three digit factor)

Likes Callmelucky
it seems that this textbook is full of flaws.
Can you check my previous post(from an hour ago or so), I think my answer is correct and their wrong on that one too.

Thank you for answering

Where is the 740 mm height of mercury? Oh, never mind. It's in a barometer that is not shown.

Likes Callmelucky
erobz said:
Where is the 740 mm height of mercury? Oh, never mind. It's in a barometer that is not shown.
That is another thing, if it's gas, I guess that container couldn't be filled on normal pressure(atm), so I don't understand what does pressure outside container(thoose 740 mm Hg) has to do with pressure inside of gas?

The U tube links the outside world with the inside of the container. Ask yourself what happens to the 5 cm if the ambient pressure changes.

Likes Callmelucky and erobz
BvU said:
The U tube links the outside world with the inside of the container. Ask yourself what happens to the 5 cm if the ambient pressure changes.
thanks, that makes sense.

1. What is the purpose of using a barometer and a U pipe to measure pressure in a gas container?

The barometer and U pipe are used to measure the pressure of the gas inside the container. This is important in understanding the behavior of gases and ensuring safety in industrial and scientific applications.

2. How does a barometer measure pressure in a gas container?

A barometer works by balancing the weight of a column of liquid (usually mercury) with the atmospheric pressure. As the gas pressure in the container increases, it pushes down on the liquid, causing it to rise in the barometer tube. The height of the liquid in the tube is directly proportional to the gas pressure.

3. What is the purpose of using a U pipe in conjunction with a barometer?

The U pipe is used as a reference point to measure the gas pressure. It is filled with a liquid, such as water, and connected to the gas container. As the gas pressure changes, it causes the liquid in the U pipe to rise or fall, providing a visual indication of the pressure inside the container.

4. How does the U pipe help in measuring pressure in a gas container?

The U pipe acts as a manometer, which is a device used to measure pressure by comparing it to a known reference point. In this case, the reference point is the liquid in the U pipe. By measuring the difference in height between the liquid in the U pipe and the barometer, the gas pressure can be determined.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of pressure measurements using a barometer and a U pipe?

The accuracy of pressure measurements can be affected by the type of liquid used, the temperature of the gas and the liquid, and any external factors that may influence the gas pressure, such as changes in altitude. It is important to calibrate the instruments and account for these factors to ensure accurate measurements.