Register to reply

Stages of Users

by mananvpanchal
Tags: stages, users
Share this thread:
mananvpanchal
Mar2-12, 08:42 AM
P: 215
Which stages do exist in the forum for a user?
Like, when posts increases the color of the username changes, some user have horizontal line on his/her username.

Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists discover RNA modifications in some unexpected places
Scientists discover tropical tree microbiome in Panama
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
jtbell
Mar2-12, 09:45 AM
Mentor
P: 11,862
Post count doesn't do anything special.

Gold members are people who have paid for a subscription.

Green members are "staff": Homework Helpers, Science Advisors, and Mentors (moderators) who have been nominated and approved by the Mentors.

Blue members are Admins: the Unix gods who have direct access to PF's server.

A line through a username means that member has been banned, usually for violating PF rules, sometimes at the member's own request because he doesn't want to come here any more.
daveb
Mar2-12, 09:50 AM
P: 925
Quote Quote by jtbell View Post
A line through a username means that member has been banned, usually for violating PF rules, sometimes at the member's own request because he doesn't want to come here any more.
I never understood why someone would request to be banned (why would anyone would want to leave this place anyway). Why not just never come to the forums? It works just as well.

Ryan_m_b
Mar2-12, 11:26 AM
Mentor
P: 5,488
Stages of Users

Green members are "staff": Homework Helpers, Science Advisors, and Mentors (moderators) who have been nominated and approved by the Mentors.
Just to clarify Homework Helpers and Science Advisors are nominated and approved by other Homework Helpers and Science Advisors as well as Mentors. Also some members have medals under their names denoting awards such as best humour, physics award etc. that are nominated and voted for by members at the end of the year.

Finally if you are interested in becoming a gold named contributor you can click the upgrade link on the banner at the top of the page, aside from just the colour change contributors get no ads, recognition graphic, set invisible, custom title, signature, avatars, profile photo, 200pm limit, who's online, user notes, boolean searching etc. If you want to find a list of people with green/blue names as well as a list of HHs and SAs just click the staff button on the banner.
Evo
Mar2-12, 11:36 AM
Mentor
P: 26,655
Another clarification - only mentors are green, Homework Helpers and Science advisors have medals denoting which they are, but they are colored gold if they are a contributor or black if they aren't.
micromass
Mar2-12, 11:39 AM
Mentor
P: 18,346
Lastly, there are also some members whose name appears in light print. Just like they're banned, but without a line through their name. Those members did not finish registration (they did not register their email address properly).

Also, there are the so-called forum gurus. At the end of the year, people can vote for best homework helper, best humor, best physicist, etc. The winners are the forum gurus for a year and get a special sign next to their name.

Here is some more information:
http://www.physicsforums.com/library...item&itemid=92
http://www.physicsforums.com/library...item&itemid=83
http://www.physicsforums.com/library...item&itemid=88
jtbell
Mar2-12, 12:15 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Another clarification - only mentors are green, Homework Helpers and Science advisors have medals denoting which they are, but they are colored gold if they are a contributor or black if they aren't.
Thanks for the correction... I should have actually looked at some posts instead of relying on my flaky memory.
Ivan Seeking
Mar2-12, 01:11 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,501
Quote Quote by mananvpanchal View Post
Which stages do exist in the forum for a user?
Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance.
Evo
Mar2-12, 01:13 PM
Mentor
P: 26,655
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
DaveC426913
Mar2-12, 01:19 PM
P: 15,319
jtbell
Mar2-12, 03:29 PM
Mentor
That's for the people who find out they can't post their wonderful new theories here, right?

I doubt very many of them get to "acceptance", though.
Ivan Seeking
Mar2-12, 04:22 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
That's for the people who find out they can't post their wonderful new theories here, right?
That is certainly one common context.

Acceptance may come in any number of different forms, including a visit from the Grim Reaper.
DaveC426913
Mar2-12, 05:25 PM
P: 15,319

One way of achieving acceptance is moving on. i.e. they move on over to Sci Forums and post their wonderful new theories there.
Ivan Seeking
Mar2-12, 10:35 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Haha, yes, I've been over there lately and have seen some old familiar names. At least they've cleaned up the flame wars. But all in all it's still a different universe.
mananvpanchal
Mar3-12, 02:38 AM
P: 215
Thanks to All
Mépris
Mar3-12, 10:24 AM
P: 832
I love reading all of your posts. In a way, it's quite sad that I prefer reading posts on the internet than conversing with people that I can see everyday but oh well...

Register to reply