Paging someone on the forum using @<username>

• Thread starter Swamp Thing
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of "Paging @someone" in forum posts as a way to notify a specific person about a question. It is unclear if this triggers a notification or is simply a way to suggest that "someone" may know the answer. The function also allows for a user to turn off notifications for being mentioned.
Swamp Thing
Insights Author
I recall seeing forum posts containing something like "Paging @someone" when the person posting thinks "Someone" might be able to clear up a question. (Unfortunately I can't find an example right now). How does this work? Does "@someone" automatically trigger a notification? Or is it merely metaphorical -- a remark to tell other readers that "someone" might know the answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes Swamp Thing
Swamp Thing said:
How does this work? Does "@someone" automatically trigger a notification?
You get a notification about being mentioned, @Swamp Thing
Also, when you add the '@' character and start writing a name you get a possible names you can choose from.

Likes BillTre and Swamp Thing
Yes, I got the notifications. Thanks.

Note that a user can turn off "receive notfications when someone mentions you" in Preferences, so it's not guaranteed that they will be aware you've pinged them.

• Informative
Likes BillTre and berkeman

1. How do I page someone on the forum using "@"?

To page someone on the forum using "@", simply type "@" followed by the username of the person you want to page. This will send a notification to that person and alert them that they have been mentioned in a post.

2. Can I page multiple people at once using "@"?

Yes, you can page multiple people at once using "@". Simply type "@" followed by the usernames of the people you want to page, separated by a comma. This will send notifications to all of the mentioned users.

3. Will the person I page receive a notification?

Yes, the person you page will receive a notification that they have been mentioned in a post. They will also be able to see the post where they were mentioned.

4. Can I page someone who is not a member of the forum?

No, you can only page users who are members of the forum. If you try to page someone who is not a member, they will not receive a notification.

5. Is there a limit to how many times I can page someone using "@"?

There is no limit to how many times you can page someone using "@". However, it is recommended to use it sparingly and only when necessary, as constantly paging someone can be seen as spamming and may annoy other users.