Register to reply

Please check my proof; how many functions exist from X to Y?

by SithsNGiggles
Tags: check, exist, functions, proof
Share this thread:
SithsNGiggles
Mar3-12, 12:50 PM
P: 187
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
I just need to know if it makes sense; I was told that I can't have anyone make any improvements on what I've written myself.

Question: If [itex]X = \{ x_1 , \ldots, x_n \}[/itex] and [itex]Y = \{ y_1 , \ldots, y_m \}[/itex], how many functions from [itex]X[/itex] to [itex]Y[/itex] exist?

My answer: [itex]m^n[/itex] functions

3. The attempt at a solution
For any element [itex]x \in X[/itex], there exists a unique [itex]y \in Y[/itex] for which [itex]F(x) = y[/itex].

Every [itex]n[/itex] element in [itex[X[/itex] will be paired with any one of the [itex]m[/itex] elements in [itex]Y[/itex].
i.e. there exist [itex]m[/itex] possible [itex]F(x_1)[/itex] in [itex]Y[/itex] that can be paired with [itex]x_1[/itex].
[itex]x_2[/itex] can be paired with [itex]m[/itex] possible [itex]F(x_2)[/itex]
[itex]\vdots[/itex]
[itex]x_n[/itex] can be paired with [itex]m[/itex] possible [itex]F(x_n)[/itex].

Because the domain [itex]D_F = X[/itex], every function generated through F will contain [itex]n[/itex] coordinate pairs. Furthermore, since there are [itex]m[/itex] possible values [itex]F(x) = y[/itex] for each element [itex]x[/itex], there are [itex]n[/itex] factors of [itex]m[/itex], or [itex]m^n[/itex], possible functions.

Thanks for any commentary (but not actual help!) you can provide.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists discover RNA modifications in some unexpected places
Scientists discover tropical tree microbiome in Panama
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
Dick
Mar3-12, 04:05 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 25,235
Makes perfect sense to me.

Register to reply