Spivak chapter 3 problem 24 - proof of a composition

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of the existence of a function f such that f(g(x)) = x, given that g(x) is a function with unique values for each input. The proof involves showing that there is a function f whose domain is a collection of all g(x) and assigns the value x to each g(x), thus satisfying the requirements for a function. This also proves the existence of an inverse function for g.
Andraz Cepic

Homework Statement

Suppose g is a function with the property that g(x) =/= g(y) if x=/=y.
Prove that there is a function f such that f( g(x) ) = x. (The composition)

Homework Equations

Definition of a function, collection of ordered pairs;
g(x) =/= g(y) if x=/=y;
x → g(x) → x (The composition that has to be proven).

The Attempt at a Solution

Since all g(x) are actually unique, that means there is a function f whose domain is a collection of all g(x) and that assigns the value x to all g(x), so that f is a collection of ordered pairs of the form (g(x), x). In other words, there is no contradiction from definition of a function, thus such a function does exist.

My problem is that I am extremely careful with proofs and to be honest this "proof" of mine seems lazy and wrong and full of holes. The part where I assume that f can assign x to g(x) seems very sketchy. I also found out that this is somehow a proof that there is an inverse function f for function g, if g(x) are all unique.

So I wonder if this is actually the right way of doing things, or did I miss sth crucial and my "proof" has bunch of holes in it or is it even plain miss from the start.

Physics news on Phys.org
Andraz Cepic said:
Since all g(x) are actually unique, that means there is a function f whose domain is a collection of all g(x) and that assigns the value x to all g(x), so that f is a collection of ordered pairs of the form (g(x), x). In other words, there is no contradiction from definition of a function, thus such a function does exist.
I would say it is correct.

Thank you :)

Likes Buffu

1. What is the problem being addressed in Spivak chapter 3 problem 24?

The problem in Spivak chapter 3 problem 24 involves proving that the composition of two functions is continuous, given that both functions are continuous individually.

2. What is the importance of this proof?

This proof is important because it establishes the continuity of composite functions, which is a fundamental concept in calculus and real analysis. It also serves as a building block for more complex proofs and applications.

3. How is the proof structured?

The proof is structured using the definition of continuity, the properties of composite functions, and the properties of limits. It involves breaking down the composition into smaller parts and using the continuity of each function to show the continuity of the composite function.

4. Are there any prerequisites for understanding this proof?

Yes, a basic understanding of functions, continuity, and limits is necessary to understand this proof. It is also helpful to have knowledge of basic algebra and real analysis concepts.

5. Can this proof be applied to other mathematical concepts?

Yes, the concept of continuity and the properties of composite functions are applicable in various fields of mathematics, such as differential equations, topology, and functional analysis. This proof serves as a foundation for understanding and proving the continuity of more complex functions and structures.