by zoom1
Tags: solution
Share this thread:
zoom1
Mar3-12, 06:05 PM
P: 23
Have an equation;

d2y(t)/dt2 + 5d2y(t)/dt2 + 4y(t) = 2e-2t

Solved the complementary(homogenous) part and the function and got the roots of -1 and -4

so the yh(t) is A1.e-4t + A2.e-t

Forcing function is 2.e-2t so yparticular(t) is A.e-2t

Am I right here ? Or am I supposed to use Ate-2t

Well, if I use the first one, the resultant function doesn't give me the 2.e-2t when I put it into the differential equation, so there is something wrong obviously.

However F(t) or one of its derivatives are not identical to terms in the homogenous solution, so I think I have to use the first option, which is A.e-2t

After proceeding I ended up with yp(t) = 1/3.e-2t

Initial values are y(0) = 0 and y(1)(0) = 0

so, K1 = -1/9 and K2 = -2/9

Still couldn't find where I am wrong
Appreciate if you help me.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA team lays plans to observe new worlds
IHEP in China has ambitions for Higgs factory
Spinach could lead to alternative energy more powerful than Popeye
gulfcoastfella
Mar3-12, 07:39 PM
PF Gold
P: 79
Quote Quote by zoom1 View Post
Have an equation;

d2y(t)/dt2 + 5d2y(t)/dt2 + 4y(t) = 2e-2t

Solved the complementary(homogenous) part and the function and got the roots of -1 and -4
For the differential equation you posted, the above roots are not correct. Did you intend for there to be two second order terms in the equation when you posted it?
zoom1
Mar4-12, 04:36 AM
Quote Quote by gulfcoastfella View Post
For the differential equation you posted, the above roots are not correct. Did you intend for there to be two second order terms in the equation when you posted it?
Ohh, pardon me, the second term is not the second derivative, it had to be first derivative.

Office_Shredder
Mar4-12, 04:42 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,500
A problem with solution

You should double check your calculation for Ae-2t
zoom1
Mar4-12, 05:31 AM
Quote Quote by Office_Shredder View Post
You should double check your calculation for Ae-2t
Got it! Thank you ;)
gulfcoastfella
Mar4-12, 06:37 PM
PF Gold
P: 79
I got a particular solution of y[itex]_{p}[/itex] = -e[itex]^{-2t}[/itex]. See if you get the same.
dash-dot
Mar4-12, 08:20 PM
P: 2
I get [itex]A_1=\frac{1}{3}[/itex] and [itex]A_2=\frac{3}{2}[/itex]. The particular solution given above is correct.

Double-check your calculations.

Register to reply