Math REUs 2012

by ktupv
Tags: 2012, math, reus
Feb29-12, 01:59 PM
P: 16
I'm writing to let you all know that William and Mary has begun sending out offers. I have a week to decide. :)

By the way, has anyone here attended the W&M math REU? If so, I'd love to hear about your experience and overall thoughts.
Zephkiel
Feb29-12, 11:05 PM
P: 1
Quote Quote by 764527 View Post
I'm writing to let you all know that William and Mary has begun sending out offers. I have a week to decide. :)

By the way, has anyone here attended the W&M math REU? If so, I'd love to hear about your experience and overall thoughts.
Same here! I have the same question, too, haha.
ghjk
Mar1-12, 12:15 PM
P: 13
Anyone heard back from UCLA Logic summer school?
markiv
Mar1-12, 04:44 PM
P: 26
Quote Quote by ghjk View Post
Anyone heard back from UCLA Logic summer school?
Yes.
ghjk
Mar1-12, 06:57 PM
P: 13
Quote Quote by markiv View Post
Yes.
You got the offer? If you did, congrats:) When did you hear from them btw?
markiv
Mar1-12, 07:22 PM
P: 26
Yes, I did. Thank you. Actually, I just heard from them today.
jlombard314
Mar3-12, 03:25 PM
P: 6
Just got an acceptance letter for the NC State REU! Awesome! They want to know if I am going by March 9th, so hoping to hear from other schools. I can just e-mail them to know if I am in or not? NC State was not at the top of my list but I would definitely like going there.
Spellthief
Mar3-12, 05:18 PM
P: 2
Thought I'd let you guys know, I just got accepted into Hope College's REU.
Baroudeur
Mar3-12, 05:48 PM
P: 4
I was just invited to the CSU Channel Islands REU! :) I have six days to respond.
dreamer32
Mar3-12, 09:31 PM
P: 2
What were some of your qualifications, if you don't mind me asking, Baroudeur?
Mar3-12, 09:59 PM
(Updates in italics.)

Offers: W&M, ETSU, LSU, Lafayette
Rejections: Emory, Williams (SMALL), SUNY Potsdam

A week ago I was worried that I wouldn't get into any REUs, and now I'm dizzy from thinking about which one to attend!
Baroudeur
Mar3-12, 11:57 PM
Quote Quote by dreamer32 View Post
What were some of your qualifications, if you don't mind me asking, Baroudeur?
I might be something of an unconventional applicant. I've always liked math, but I was a disinterested and angsty civil engineer until a year ago... that's when I finally dropped engineering for math. Since then, my grades have been perfect, but for the first 1.5 years of my college experience, I got B's in math and other subjects. My recommendations were good, and I wrote good essays that address my past and look to the future.
Derivate
Mar4-12, 06:45 PM
(Updates in italics.)

Offers: W&M, ETSU, LSU, Lafayette
Rejections: Emory, Williams (SMALL), SUNY Potsdam

A week ago I was worried that I wouldn't get into any REUs, and now I'm dizzy from thinking about which one to attend!
First off, congratulations! Choices are good!

How did they contact you for acceptances/rejections? I've applied to ETSU and SUNY Potsdam and now am a bit worried I haven't heard anything yet...

In fact, I haven't heard back from anywhere! Should I start making alternative summer plans?
Mar4-12, 08:02 PM
Quote Quote by Derivate View Post
First off, congratulations! Choices are good!

How did they contact you for acceptances/rejections? I've applied to ETSU and SUNY Potsdam and now am a bit worried I haven't heard anything yet...

In fact, I haven't heard back from anywhere! Should I start making alternative summer plans?
Thank you! I was contacted through e-mail at all places I listed. If you haven't heard back, then there's still hope since you haven't been rejected.

I don't think there's any reason to make alternative plans so soon; from what I've heard, some programs won't have completed their selection process until around the end of April!
Baroudeur
Mar4-12, 09:15 PM
I was contacted through e-mail at all places I listed. If you haven't heard back, then there's still hope since you haven't been rejected.
Interesting. Sounds like I've been wait-listed at a number of places, then, seeing as I've heard nothing from programs to which others have already been invited (UCLA Logic and SUNY Potsdam in particular).
ebola1717
Mar4-12, 11:36 PM
P: 10
I didn't know they'd respond this fast. I haven't heard back from any (including SUNY Potsdam, so I'm in the same boat as you guys). The deadline for Michigan is still two weeks away, and that's one of my top choices. I hope I'm in a sweet spot in the wait-list so they accept me, but not for two or three weeks. I won't complain if they accept me earlier of course.
Testify
Mar6-12, 09:30 AM
P: 15
Apparently Cornell will not be receiving word from the NSF about their funding until the end of this week or beginning of next week, and thus, will not be sending out any offers until around that time.

I too have an offer from CSUCI and need to respond by Friday. It looks like I will be accepting it. :V
feuxfollets
Mar6-12, 09:49 PM
P: 44
So I've only heard from one REU so far, the William and Mary one, and that was also the last one I submitted my application for... huh

The email I received from W&M was also really cryptic... it mentioned something about my "excellent application" but didn't really say directly whether I was accepted or not... wtf

Register to reply