Grad School Decisions for the Mediocre

In summary, JK is applying to grad schools and understands that he has no chance at the top schools, but is wondering if anyone could recommend safety schools or schools that are in his range to apply to. JK has a B.S. in Physics and Math from a top ranked institution and is ranked at ~263 in the nation for physics quality. JK has no experience or REUs, but has 6 semesters of research experience doing experimental work at his undergraduate institution. JK is moderately qualified based on his GRE scores and math electives.
jk_er_gamma
Hello Forumgoers,

I know there are probably a million 'what are my chances?' posts on here, so I apologize if I'm missing an obvious source, I'm new to the forum.
I am applying to grad schools, and understand that I have no chance at top schools, but I was wondering if anyone could name safety schools or schools that are in my range to apply to (mostly within the U.S., but I will listen to other suggestions) given these stats:

B.S. Physics and Math (double major)
PGRE 710 (51%ile)
GRE verbal (94%ile), quant(89%ile), writing(98%ile)
GPA: 3.5

I have no REUs or internships, but 6 semesters experience doing research at my undergrad, which has ~no physics reputation. The research is experimental and not in a field I am looking to apply for, unless I have to.

My recommendations will most likely be decent, including physics and math professors. A potentially strong point is that I have some advanced math electives in vector and tensor calculus, differential equations, and graduate abstract algebra. Also club officerships if that counts.
I would say try not to be too harsh, but I get it ;/

Also, if it seems harsh that I am calling this mediocre, don't worry, I don't take it as an extremely accurate evaluation of ability or intellect, in my case I was a bit caught up in the moment when taking classes and didn't worry about competing for REUs, the PGRE I had time to take once with a solid 1-2 weeks of study. I just know that physics is not like high school where a decent record is ahead of most.

Thanks,
JK
(I)

Physics news on Phys.org
Where is your undergrad institution ranked nationally in physics? That's a decent approximation for the top end grad school you're likely to get admitted to. I'd say you might reasonably consider schools ranked close to yours and then down about 50 places in the national rankings. If time permits, take the PGRE again and see what you can do to get a publication in physics or math.

What subfields of physics are you interested in? That should guide your application a little more that a number that someone else places on a school using criteria that may or may not be applicable to you.

Dr. Courtney said:
Where is your undergrad institution ranked nationally in physics?
I don't think it is significantly ranked, probably not Top 50. Is there an official system of rankings?
Dr. Courtney said:
If time permits, take the PGRE again
Yeah, I think I could do better, but I have already waited until after graduation to take it, so waiting another year might be a bit iffy.

jk_er_gamma said:
Is there an official system of rankings?

Here is one. Not necessarily official what ever that means but they give their methodology for their rating so you can judge their criteria for yourself. 263 colleges and universities ranked.

https://www.collegefactual.com/majors/physical-sciences/physics/rankings/top-ranked/p27.html

gleem said:
Here is one. Not necessarily official what ever that means
edit: on closer examination, it is ranked, but not by quality. For most focused ~600/700 (no surprise, it was a small program) and for highest paid ~300/540.
The math major is ranked for quality, at ~270/475.

Last edited:
jk_er_gamma said:
Is there an official system of rankings?
gleem said:
Here is one. Not necessarily official
Who would have the authority to make it "official"? :oldwink:

jtbell said:
Who would have the authority to make it "official"?
doesn't need to be official, but saying that got the desired response.

I have currently applied to 4 schools. There are at least 2 more in the plans. I will update with how it turns out.

1. What is considered "mediocre" in terms of graduate school decisions?

Mediocre graduate school decisions are typically those that fall in the middle range, neither exceptional nor poor. This could refer to average grades, test scores, or research experience compared to other applicants.

2. Can someone with mediocre grades still get into a good graduate school?

Yes, it is possible for someone with mediocre grades to get into a good graduate school. Admissions committees consider a variety of factors, including letters of recommendation, research experience, and personal statements, in addition to grades. It is important to highlight any strengths and accomplishments in these areas to increase your chances of admission.

3. Should I still apply to top-ranked graduate programs if my academic record is mediocre?

It is always worth applying to top-ranked graduate programs, even if your academic record is mediocre. Admissions committees consider a variety of factors, and you may have strengths in other areas that make you a competitive applicant. It is important to do thorough research on the program and tailor your application to highlight your strengths and fit with the program.

4. How can I improve my chances of being accepted into a graduate program if my academic record is mediocre?

There are several ways to improve your chances of being accepted into a graduate program if your academic record is mediocre. You can retake standardized tests, gain more research experience, and strengthen your letters of recommendation. Additionally, you can reach out to potential advisors or faculty members in the program to express your interest and discuss your qualifications.

5. Is it better to attend a lower-ranked graduate program with a scholarship or a higher-ranked program without financial aid?

This decision ultimately depends on your personal goals and priorities. Attending a lower-ranked program with a scholarship can provide financial support and potentially lead to research opportunities. However, attending a higher-ranked program without financial aid may provide more prestige and networking opportunities. It is important to carefully consider your options and choose the program that aligns with your career goals.