Junior Engineering Design Project Ideas

In summary, the conversation revolved around a mechanical engineering student seeking advice for a design project in their "Mechanical Engineering Design" class. They were looking for a problem that required engineering principles and analysis, and were considering a project related to efficient cooling with computer processors. They also discussed their interests, desired field of work after graduation, recent advances in the field, their dream-widget, and their understanding of a specific phenomenon or development. The student found the conversation helpful and used it as a guideline for brainstorming with friends.
sareyes91
Hi all,

I am a second semester junior mechanical engineering student. I am taking a class titled "Mechanical Engineering Design." The class has a design project where we pick a problem and design a solution. He does not want something a freshman engineering student can design, but rather, a problem that requires engineering principles and analysis.

I am having trouble thinking of a problem to design a solution around. I would love to do something related to efficient cooling with computer processors, but I have not taken Heat Transfer yet so I'm not sure if that would end well.

Any ideas? Anything would help.

Thank you in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
what are your interests?
what field(s) do you want to work in after graduation?

what recent advances have there been in that field? (google scholar, and doaj.org are very useful. Your school's library probably also has access to non-free journals.

of these advances, which would you like to extrapolate on?

What is your dream-widget (the invention/development that you want to give the world before you die)? Can you take steps towards that?

What phenomena/development do you know very well (can you explain something inside and out to a non-technical person?)

jehan60188 said:
what are your interests?
what field(s) do you want to work in after graduation?

what recent advances have there been in that field? (google scholar, and doaj.org are very useful. Your school's library probably also has access to non-free journals.

of these advances, which would you like to extrapolate on?

What is your dream-widget (the invention/development that you want to give the world before you die)? Can you take steps towards that?

What phenomena/development do you know very well (can you explain something inside and out to a non-technical person?)

Thank you for replying,

This helped a lot. I meet up with a few friends yesterday to brainstorm possible ideas. We were using your post as a guidline :smile:. Thank you again

What is a Junior Engineering Design Project?

A Junior Engineering Design Project is a hands-on learning experience where students use engineering principles and problem-solving skills to design and create a project. It allows students to apply their knowledge in a practical way and can range from simple projects to more complex ones.

Why is it important for students to participate in Junior Engineering Design Projects?

Junior Engineering Design Projects help students develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and teamwork skills. It also allows them to apply what they have learned in a fun and engaging way. These projects can also inspire students to pursue a career in engineering or related fields.

What are some examples of Junior Engineering Design Projects?

There are many potential ideas for Junior Engineering Design Projects, including building a small-scale bridge, designing and constructing a simple machine, creating a model solar-powered car, or developing a water filtration system. The possibilities are endless and can be tailored to the interests and abilities of the students.

How do I come up with a Junior Engineering Design Project idea?

There are a few ways to generate ideas for a Junior Engineering Design Project. You can start by identifying a problem or need in your community and brainstorming potential solutions. You can also look to nature for inspiration or think about areas of interest, such as sustainability or technology, and come up with a project related to those topics.

What are the benefits of completing a Junior Engineering Design Project?

Completing a Junior Engineering Design Project not only helps students develop important skills, but it also gives them a sense of accomplishment and boosts their confidence. These projects also provide a practical application of the concepts learned in the classroom and can be a valuable addition to a student's portfolio or resume.