Simple question about these 2 parasites life cycle (Pics provided anyone can answer)

by sameeralord
Tags: cycle, life, parasites, pics, provided, simple
sameeralord
Mar5-12, 07:51 PM
P: 635
Hello everyone,

This is the life cyle of H.diminuta. My question is the 4th point. It says ingestion of these arthropods/fleas by rats or humans. Do rats actually eat these fleas, or do the fleas live on rats's skin and suck their blood and via that infects rats, same for humans. Is it ingestion or do these fleas live on the skin of these individuals?

This is H.nana. My question is about 1st point. Can humans get infected by eating infected eggs of rats, which are passed in their faeces?

Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Biology news on Phys.org
Lemurs match scent of a friend to sound of her voice
New research shows how pathogenic E. coli O157:H7 binds to fresh vegetables
A European bear's point of view, finally on film
mishrashubham
Mar6-12, 06:30 AM
P: 605
Quote Quote by sameeralord View Post
This is the life cyle of H.diminuta. My question is the 4th point. It says ingestion of these arthropods/fleas by rats or humans. Do rats actually eat these fleas, or do the fleas live on rats's skin and suck their blood and via that infects rats, same for humans. Is it ingestion or do these fleas live on the skin of these individuals?
While brown rat diet largely consists of grain, they are omnivores and have been known to eat insects. Yes it is only ingestion through which the parasite enters the body. Humans usually accidentally ingest the insects via uncooked or contaminated food.

Quote Quote by sameeralord View Post
This is H.nana. My question is about 1st point. Can humans get infected by eating infected eggs of rats, which are passed in their faeces?
Yes they can, due to food contamination (similar to how cholera spreads); and I think you mean the parasite eggs.
sameeralord
Mar6-12, 10:41 PM
P: 635
Thanks mishra

Register to reply