Materials Science - Derivation of Kapustinskii equation

In summary, the equilibrium bond length in ion components can be obtained from cationic and anionic radii, and using this value along with the average A/V value of 0.839, the Borne-Lande and Borne-Mayer equations can be simplified to the Kapustinskii equation. This equation is useful in calculating the lattice energy of ionic compounds.
10-D King
1. The equilibrium bond length r0 in ion components (or salts) can always be obtained from the tabulated values of cationic, r+, and anionic radii, r-, respectively as
r0=r+ + r-

Show how on this basis, and that above (refering to the first part of the problem where i was to verify that the magdelung constants divided by the number of ions in one formula unit is constant(A/v)), the Born-Lande and Borne-Mayer equations become the Kapustinskii equations.

2. Borne-Lande equation
e4e1219b20a6dffdd490de8fe82c9f08.png

Borne-Mayer Equation

clip_image040.gif

3. When carrying out the first part of the equation i obtained an average (A/v) value of 0.839 and i can easily derive the actual Borne equations but no matter what i try i can't get a decent answer for the derivation of the Kapustinskii equation

Any assistance would be of great appreciation.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Kapustinskii equation can be derived from the Borne-Lande and Borne-Mayer equations in the following way. From the Borne-Lande equation, we have A/V = 0.839 = r0^3/[(1/r+ + 1/r-)^2] where r0 is the equilibrium bond length and r+ and r− are the cationic and anionic radii, respectively. By substituting this value into the Borne-Mayer equation, we get A/V = 0.839 = (r0/r+)^2 + (r0/r−)^2 which simplifies to A/V = 0.839 = (r0/r+) + (r0/r−). This is the Kapustinskii equation.

What is Materials Science?

Materials science is a multidisciplinary field that combines principles from physics, chemistry, and engineering to study the properties of materials and how they can be used to create new technologies and products.

What is the Kapustinskii equation?

The Kapustinskii equation is an empirical formula that describes the lattice energy of an ionic compound based on the charges and radii of the ions present. It is used to predict the stability and melting points of ionic compounds.

Who developed the Kapustinskii equation?

The Kapustinskii equation was developed by Soviet physicist Mikhail Kapustinskii in the early 20th century. It was later refined and expanded upon by other scientists, but it is still commonly referred to as the Kapustinskii equation.

What are the main assumptions made in the derivation of the Kapustinskii equation?

The main assumptions made in the derivation of the Kapustinskii equation are that the ions in the crystal lattice are spherical and that the lattice is purely ionic, meaning there are no covalent or metallic bonding interactions.

What are the applications of the Kapustinskii equation?

The Kapustinskii equation is used in materials science to predict the properties and behavior of ionic compounds, such as their melting points, solubility, and stability. It is also used in the design and development of new materials for various industrial and technological applications.