GR:KvFs & Geodesics: Solving for L & Derivatives

• Thread starter binbagsss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geodesics
In summary, "Write down the geodesic equation" refers to finding a simplified differential equation using symmetries and conserved quantities, while "write down explicitly" refers to finding an explicit formula for a specific case. The two may seem similar, but the difference lies in the level of detail and specificity required in the answer.
binbagsss
Homework Statement
see below and question attached , parts c to e
Relevant Equations
see below
I am a bit confused with parts c,d,e . In general does ' write down ' the geodesics mean you can leave it in a form ##d/ds( ..) =0## for example here I get 3 equations given by :## \dot x^c =\frac{ k_c z^2}{R^2}## (for## c =t,x,y ##and k is a constant) , and let me use the lagrangian to replace the equation and then I get :## L=K -\frac{\dot{z}^2 R^2}{z^2}## where L will be set## >0 <0 ## or ##=0## depending on whether s-l , t- l etc and K is a sum of the constants ##k_c ^2##

d) the above seems to leave me with a pretty trivial answer to this part which is partly why I'm wondering whether the above is correct or not , since ##L <0 ## and the second term is positive . ( I thought perhaps I may need to look at the ##z## geodesic equation more explicitly and maybe solve for ##z(s) ## or replace it with## \dot{z}## but my ## z ## equation looks non linear and second order ... is the idea to solve for ##z(s) ## here before making a deduction on the conditions for the conserved quantities ?e) again this question makes me question my part c ) since , this again seems pretty trivial :

I'm wondering what the difference between ' write down explicitly ' and ' write down ' . I would interpret explicit as perhaps solving the Euler Lagrange equations and taking the second derivative wrt ##s## etc . But , using this method for all four equations , the value of ##L## is not specified - I.e which type of geodesic . Whereas if I use three Euler Lagrange equations and replace one of them with the lagrangian ( plugging in the other variables that have been solved for etc - Kvfs and constants ) I can specify the nature of the geodesic via the value of ##L## . But then in this case c) and e) are pretty much the same - the only different is specifying the value of L and computing the derivative wrt ##s## for the constant equations via kvfs I would have wrote down for part c) .Many thanks , really appreciated.

Attachments

• bs.png
    bs.png
    24.3 KB · Views: 373
Physics news on Phys.org
I would interpret "write down the geodesic equation for ..." as referring to a differential equation simplified maximally using symmetries and conserved quantities. For the null geodesics, I would think (without doing the exercise) that they expect an explicit formula in the stated coordinates, e.g. that for the exterior Schwarzschild metric in Schwarzschild coordinates, there is a family of spacelike geodesics defined by constant t and angular coordinates, with varying r. I would be expecting that null geodesics simplify to the extent of writing actual equation, rather than diff.eq.

What is GR:KvFs & Geodesics?

GR:KvFs & Geodesics is a mathematical framework used in the field of physics to describe the curvature of space and time. It is a theory that was first developed by Albert Einstein in his theory of general relativity.

How is GR:KvFs & Geodesics used?

GR:KvFs & Geodesics is used to describe the motion of objects in space and time, particularly in the presence of strong gravitational fields. It is also used to explain the behavior of light and other forms of electromagnetic radiation in the universe.

What is the process of solving for L in GR:KvFs & Geodesics?

Solving for L in GR:KvFs & Geodesics involves using mathematical equations and principles to determine the geodesic, or the path that an object will follow in a gravitational field. This path is determined by the curvature of space and time, as described by the theory of general relativity.

What are derivatives in GR:KvFs & Geodesics?

In GR:KvFs & Geodesics, derivatives refer to the rate of change of a physical quantity, such as the position or velocity of an object, with respect to a particular variable, such as time. Derivatives are used to calculate the geodesic equations and describe the motion of objects in curved spacetime.

How does GR:KvFs & Geodesics relate to other theories of physics?

GR:KvFs & Geodesics is closely related to other theories of physics, such as Newtonian gravity and special relativity. It is considered to be a more accurate and comprehensive theory, as it can explain phenomena that cannot be explained by these other theories, such as the bending of light in the presence of massive objects.